Worried parent

Heather000

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is newly diagnosed of 3 months and is type 1 and wants to go to a four day music festival at the end of July? Anyone got any advice or has been in this situation?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Heather000

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is 17, I want him to go and enjoy himself and yes I would of let him go if not for his new type 1 diagnosis, the only worry I have is that he is not recognising his hypos yet but I have to buy his ticket this weekend, do you have any advice that could help ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Back in my day.. What am on about I still do the odd festival.. Point is there is social media theses days!
A quick glance at your son's FB update (assuming he uses Facebook.) "selfies" "I'm watching this band." & so on will be a dead give away as to his wellbeing...?!? ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Heather000

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
He isn't a Facebook or selfie kinda lad, but I'm sure his friends will post things and I can see those, I'm sure he will manage ok I'm just a very worried mum

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you stretch to a libre starter pack - I think they are approx £150 - if hypo awareness is an issue it might be a good reassurance measure. Maybe someone who is using a libre can butt in here.. .?

It would be such a shame if on top of being diagnosed, diabetes became the reason he wasn't allowed to go.

Are the friends he's going with good, sensible lads? Do they know he is diabetic what it means and what he has to do to look after himself? Does he know to eat something carby after drinking?

There would be a few more things to consider but if he is generally handling his diabetes sensibly, there is no reason to think the festival would be any different & he wouldn't be able to handle diabetes at a festival. Read up on drinking & diabetes (unless you are very confident he's a very good boy & doesn't do underage drinking) make sure his friends are aware, get him a diabetic ID (one of those rubber bracelets) make sure he packs loads of hypo treatment.

Don't let the diabetes become a barrier for him - instead, find some work arounds so you can be confident he will be safe at the festival.

Reactions: 3 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Heather000 is your son ok with testing himself regularly and doing his injections? Is it near to where you live? I'm assuming tent stay? How is he managing at the moment if he can't recognise hypos? What are his friends like? Could he tell them to give him glucogel if he collapsed? Will he snack regularly as things like that can use up lots of energy? I always carry hypo treatment and blood test with me now, and more for my daughter now too which is a pain if you are out somewhere like that and don't want to be carrying much.
I've been diabetic since I was 2 and did go away on foreign exchanges etc but I had warning signs of hypo and obviously years of being used to it. My 2yr old is type1 and still isn't speaking so she is only ever with me, my husband or my mum (who obviously had me) as I'm concerned about her hypoing and no one knowing what to do-same circumstances, different age! x

Reactions: 2 people

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a similar issue, although I am going to be with my daughter (she's only 10).

The advice I've been given by others on here is to pack lots of spare equipment and lots of snacks.

July is enough time to make sure the people he is going with know what to do in an emergency.

Is it possible to get him to call/text you while he's away just for your piece of mind?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... Maybe get one of his mate's number as a back up as well?!

Heather000

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks cat & Sarah, we have just purchased a libre kit for the festival, he is managing really well and doing everything himself apart from counting his carbs, which I do. He has an app on his phone tho for carb counting. I will definitely be getting him a band to wear now and his friends are good lads , I think he would probably have a drink but not to much he is aware of what can happen, it's the hypos that are the worry and he will be taking his hypo kit hopefully won't have to use it! I think a chat with his friends may help perhaps to realise the signs? Thanks for your help and advice much appreciated

Heather000

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Ellie & jaylee, Ive asked him to text me daily just so I know everything is ok hopefully he will let me speak to his friends and at least get one of there numbers

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ellie & jaylee, Ive asked him to text me daily just so I know everything is ok hopefully he will let me speak to his friends and at least get one of there numbers

Though I empathise the lad wants a "normal life" & find his feet in the world.
I also appreciate your concern..
I never wanted my mum to worry, but then I've always been hypo aware.. Her main concern back in the 80's was drug addicts using my needles?!? & the possibility of me "knocking" some girl up..

To be fair, I haven't fallen foul of the aforementioned worry list to date! ;)