Worried parent

Gwelda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 10 year old daughter has been diagnosed T2D 6 weeks ago. She was Never sick or had any problem with her health.

She is still happy child as always, doesn't complain, understands about the insulin shots and understands that our way of eating has change.

We got her the Libre after 3 weeks of finger pricking and she is soooo happy. No priking at night.

But I'm the one that cry a lot. Not in front of her. Mostly when she is at school.
I do my best to cook her favorite foods low carb for for example pizza, bread, cookies and she is always very grateful.

My question is how other mom and dad cope with is? What do you say to yourself when you see what your child has to go through?
Are you worried if they will rebellious against all the shot and eating discipline.

How do you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: Jmeechan

Diamummy_

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi @Gwelda, I know it's so hard to begin with, my 4 year old daughter was diagnosed last November and it caused me a lot of anxiety and depression even tho she is happy and coping well, I just kept saying to myself that it's something we will have to get used to and to just take it a day at a time, it does get easier I promise, our local hospital do coffee morning meet ups for parents to chat which is very helpful, hope you feel happier soon x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Gwelda my 2yr old was diagnosed a few months ago when I had very small baby twins with medical issues. I'm type1 so fortunately recognised the signs. To say I was devastated probably is an understatement. I've been type1 since I was 2 too but things are so different since then. I hate finger pricking my daughter. We are both pumping. She was so traumatised she won't speak still now.
Anyhow I think you just have to accept that it's a way of life and that you are doing it to keep them alive and well basically. I'm very anxious with everything that's happened over the past few months and almost waiting to see if the twins will become diabetic. With medical advances these days who knows what will happen. We do stick to a fairly low sugar diet (we did for me anyhow) so no massive changes there. Yes I still get upset but I just tell her what we are doing, get on with it and move onto normal day to day life xx

W00sterz00ey

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Gwelda I can only answer that I don't know how I deal with it. I look at my DD, who was diagnosed T1 in April and I am so proud of her, how she is dealing, even when sad and fed up and learn from her. On the other hand I look at her, and my heart breaks. She has had to take on so much , so fast.
But we hug a lot, we're really open with each other and we work together to find the things we can laugh about.
Though it is not a situation I thought we would be in, the treatment allows us to remain a family, and will allow her to grow up to be the amazing person she is meant to be.
Things will change. There will be really difficult times ahead - but with support and love I have faith we will get through them.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi @Gwelda my 2yr old was diagnosed a few months ago when I had very small baby twins with medical issues. I'm type1 so fortunately recognised the signs. To say I was devastated probably is an understatement. I've been type1 since I was 2 too but things are so different since then. I hate finger pricking my daughter. We are both pumping. She was so traumatised she won't speak still now.
Anyhow I think you just have to accept that it's a way of life and that you are doing it to keep them alive and well basically. I'm very anxious with everything that's happened over the past few months and almost waiting to see if the twins will become diabetic. With medical advances these days who knows what will happen. We do stick to a fairly low sugar diet (we did for me anyhow) so no massive changes there. Yes I still get upset but I just tell her what we are doing, get on with it and move onto normal day to day life xx

I'm not a doctor so take this in that context; but this study seems amazing to me;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11705562

"Children who regularly took the recommended dose of vitamin D (2000 IU daily) had a RR of 0.22"

That means, as I understand it, an 78% risk reduction for those children of developing Type 1 diabetes.

That is from 0-1 year for supplementation.

I'd supplement your twins with vitamin d3 (you can by drops) daily at that level (put it in their milk). If you are worried only do 1,000 IU. I gave both my children between 1,000 and 2,000 IUs a day for their first 12 months in the hope that the benefits above would apply. Both are happy and healthy.

If the twins have other medical issues speak to your doctor who will say there's no need to give vitamin supplements; I'd only listed to them if there is a direct issue with vitamin D and their health.

Best

Dillinger

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not a doctor so take this in that context; but this study seems amazing to me;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11705562

"Children who regularly took the recommended dose of vitamin D (2000 IU daily) had a RR of 0.22"

That means, as I understand it, an 78% risk reduction for those children of developing Type 1 diabetes.

That is from 0-1 year for supplementation.

I'd supplement your twins with vitamin d3 (you can by drops) daily at that level (put it in their milk). If you are worried only do 1,000 IU. I gave both my children between 1,000 and 2,000 IUs a day for their first 12 months in the hope that the benefits above would apply. Both are happy and healthy.

If the twins have other medical issues speak to your doctor who will say there's no need to give vitamin supplements; I'd only listed to them if there is a direct issue with vitamin D and their health.

Best

Dillinger
Thanks @Dillinger they are still on formula (some prescribed) and not weaned yet so there isn't any need for drops yet. My 2yr old loves her vitamin drops but unfortunately didn't stop it happening. Ill have to read up on the study although there is 3 generations in my family of type1 so I definitely think there is an auto immune weakness somewhere.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Thanks @Dillinger they are still on formula (some prescribed) and not weaned yet so there isn't any need for drops yet. My 2yr old loves her vitamin drops but unfortunately didn't stop it happening. Ill have to read up on the study although there is 3 generations in my family of type1 so I definitely think there is an auto immune weakness somewhere.

Hi, the drops I mean are Vitamin D3 in liquid form which you can get at a concentration of 1,000 or 2,000 IU per drop. I added these to my children's milk from day 1.

It's not about multivitamins; it's about specifically addressing a potential vitamin D deficiency that cascades into an autoimmune response and Type 1.

Best

Dillinger

Gwelda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There is a thread where the opening post was written by one of our members who expressed how she feels.
It is worth a read and may help you know that you are not alone. You are having a perfectly normal reaction to an abnormal situation. ((((hugs)))). @Gwelda
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/i-know-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-parent-of-a-type1-child.76031/

Thank you for telling me about the thread. It is beautiful written, just as I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum