Worried work colleague

zacthedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injections,
I will point my work mate to this forum, but i can tell he is a worried man! He went to the doctors who wanted a regular check up including all the usual blood tests, he then received a call to say his BG for a fasting am blood test was a bit high! When i asked him what it waz i nearly fell of my chair laughing, not the correct response i know, but mine was when diagnosed a shade over 20mmol, his was 6.1mmol, he did feel a little relieved at that, he has another test tomorrow, i have said with my very limited knowledge he is probably pre diabetic and possibly being caught this early with the right diet he could possible beat it fairly quickly. I know it hinges on his next result but how can i reasure him that things will be fine? I am only now realising some of the hardships a diet change that are needed myself. He is a sensative person who holds his emotions in and does not want to trouble people, but you can see the worry in his face, he is already on a bit of a different diet as his wife is gluten intolerant, so if he is diabetic he will face a hard time in that respect. I have been diagnose 4 weeks myself and am already having different views on what i do compared to what the NHS are telling me, but do not want to push my views on him as he will need to decide which path he wants to follow. I have found this forum more helpful and informative than a majority of what i have had from the doctor or DSN and know i am responsible for my own well being before any other advise is given.

Reactions: 7 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@zacthedog,
Congratulations on being so caring to your workmate!
If, as you suspect, he is "pre-diabetic", then hopefuly he can make the changes that will pull his condition back to the right side of the line , without causing too much conflict with his wife's gluten intolerance.
Given the large nmber of helpful peeps on here, i'm sure we can give him some pointers to a solution!

Reactions: 2 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @zacthedog - if he's already following a gluten free diet alongside his wife, then at least thats the cakes, bread, biscuits flour and pasta out of his diet :). Sounds like a low carb diet would be beneficial to both of them and something they can do together.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree with LinsT...gluten free and diabetics can eat natural foods..
I only buy gluten free and lactose free products such as milk, yogurts..
I don't eat any bread, pasta, rice etc...
My food is also sweetener free.....
The best thing for any human being is pure natural food.
There are excellent foods around rhat they can eat

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would only add that gluten free alternatives to things like bread and pasta can actually have more carbs than the normal types. Plus gluten free does not mean sugar free. I am not sure that 6.1 on a single isolated test can even be said to be pre-diabetic, he needs to have an HbA1c test. But I am no expert either, its just from what I have read.

zacthedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injections,
I have asked him to find out what his hbac1 is, he has bought a back of 'half sugar', i told him that you don't get half diabetes! And as mentioned about eating gluton free with his wife, he does not eat it much, plus he is at work 8hrs a day with Asda 10yards away...