Worry at 36 weeks (+2)

Bobbietb

Hi all

My name's Bobbie and I've had type 1 diabetes for 24 years. This is my first pregnancy. On the whole, the pregnancy hasn't been too bad. Hba1c has been excellent throughout but baby boy was still measuring slightly above the 90th centile at the last scan.

I finished work on Friday for maternity leave and cannot stop worrying! I'm convinced that because I'm diabetic there's something more likely to go round (placenta failing- other than low sugars how would I even know that was happening); preeclampsia (again how would I know); and now I'm freaking out about the lack it control in terms of birth:
Don't want to be induced (have read it can last for days and end in an
Emergency section) but also don't want an elective section because of the healing afterwards!

Any words of wisdom or reassurance would be a huge help

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm completely the wrong sex to give advice on this one, however I do know all pregnant women whether diabetic or not worry about the same things you are! You know your body better than anyone, trust it!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all

My name's Bobbie and I've had type 1 diabetes for 24 years. This is my first pregnancy. On the whole, the pregnancy hasn't been too bad. Hba1c has been excellent throughout but baby boy was still measuring slightly above the 90th centile at the last scan.

I finished work on Friday for maternity leave and cannot stop worrying! I'm convinced that because I'm diabetic there's something more likely to go round (placenta failing- other than low sugars how would I even know that was happening); preeclampsia (again how would I know); and now I'm freaking out about the lack it control in terms of birth:
Don't want to be induced (have read it can last for days and end in an
Emergency section) but also don't want an elective section because of the healing afterwards!

Any words of wisdom or reassurance would be a huge help

I'm sure all pregnant ladies understand those worries! But stress isn't good for you or baby, so don't let those natural worries get you worked up. Concentrate on keeping your BS under control and staying well. I found deep breathing really helpful for anxiety. It calms your racing mind down.

The symptoms of pre eclampsia are online so you can check those. As for the placenta failing, watch out for unexplained hypos or big drops in your insulin requirements.

You can still control the birth. It is your birth experience - no one else's. Most ladies are induced, and yes, it does increase the chance you'll need a section, but remember many ladies with diabetes do not have a section. My last induction was lengthy but I gave birth naturally. We all respind differently to the induction drugs so inductions can be quick, slow or medium length. Keeping active can help.

Barlow63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi bobbietb, I'm a Doula and a diabetic. I wish I could wave a wand and take some of your worries away.
When I had my children we weren't given a choice, we were made to have planned caesareans.
In my Doula experience I know that if your blood sugars have been well controlled you are at the same risk of these things happening as anyone else, and will have the same symptoms/warnings as others, diabetes won't make it worse or more likely.
Being induced does often cascade into a more medicalised birth but not always.
Your body, knows what to do, it will do what it needs to do, like every other mammal on the planet, trust it and try to go with the flow, let it do its job.
You will be FINE and your baby will be FINE, stress and worry will cause more trouble than your diabetes!
Remember, labour is called labour because it's hard work, keep your strength up by eating well throughout and drinking lots of water.
I wish you a wonderful birth and and a beautiful healthy baby.
Please feel free to ask me questions if you have other concerns xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Bobbietb

Aww thanks guys! Slip, you're right, I'm sure these worries are normal for all pregnant women. It's like a double edged sword: I feel extremely blessed at the amazing monitoring I've had but also think it may have heightened some of the worry. Azure, as you say, everyone is different and in actual fact even if I was to go into labour naturally it could still be drawn out and end in a section. Barlow63, thank you for your kind words...I'm usually a very pragmatic, no nonsense person so feeling like this is very unnatural for me. Sometimes just some kind words can do the trick! Thank you all

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Bobbietb I've been type 1 for 27 years and just had my first baby a few weeks ago. Like you I had a good hba1c throughout but my last growth scan at 36 weeks showed baby to be big, I was given another scan 10 days later and they found it was just a mis measurement. I was booked in to be induced at 38w+1, like you I had worries, would have loved to naturally go into labour etc, however I had faith in the team looking after me and knew they would do what was best for me & baby. I did a post on here with some details of what happened during my labour if you want to have a read of it :) please do try not to stress xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Bobbietb

Thanks Mrsass will take a look now. Baby has been gradually picking up the weight, however, the last growth scan was undertaken by a trainee, which I totally don't mind, but she did take the measurement three times so maybe not that accurate!

Loulou52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was induced with my first and apart from forceps at the very end it was uneventful. I am being induced on the 18th this time around. I am being left in total charge of my own diabetes, my consultant has left notes for those caring for me during L&D. Have to site my pump on my thigh and keep bloods below 7.5. That's it really. My only disappointment is that during active labour I won't be able to have a water birth. Try not to worry nobody wants anything negative to happen to you or your baby so they will take good care of you. Just ask lots of questions if you aren't sure why certain things are happening. Good luck. Keep us posted. X

Reactions: 4 people

Bobbietb

Thanks @Loulou52. It's great to hear some stories of mum's with type 1 diabetes who have had pretty normal births. Yes it is a shame about the water birth because it's supposed to work as a pain relief too. I'm feeling much more positive following the comments and advice so thanks to you all

Reactions: 4 people