Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What is it about supermarkets that give you a hypo? It happens to me quite often..is it the walking, the stress, the smell of food?? I grabbed some jelly babies in a supermarket while shopping once and got a funny look off the cashier when she noticed they were opened!!

I really don't know @TonySleigh:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is it about supermarkets that give you a hypo? It happens to me quite often..is it the walking, the stress, the smell of food?? I grabbed some jelly babies in a supermarket while shopping once and got a funny look off the cashier when she noticed they were opened!!

It's an ancient primal thing.. The hunt. Hunger driven, adrenalin fuelled energy expended to chase prey down & bash that "moose" over the head with a rock..

@noblehead knows.. ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd forgotten about this thread...Have another weird one to add from this weekend.
I went to stay with a friend on his newly acquired boat just outside Nabonne, France...was on dry land (thankfully) but feeling a little low I shouted to my partner to bring my bag out from the boat because I was feeling low and a little too unsteady to walk the pontoon and grab it myself...he totally misheard me....I waited another 10 mins or so before finally plucking up the courage to walk the pontoon...when he saw me he realised and was straight on it...but really not a good place to go hypo...anyone who has gone boating regularly as I have previously will understand this...you feel a bit floaty for a good while after getting off so hard to differentiate from hypo or otherwise...from now on...will always be prepared (yeah right lol) x

Reactions: 4 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst at work as a housekeeper I had a hypo and I was in the middle of hoovering with a Henry Hoover. It got stuck on the corner of the bed and I got so mad with it I kicked it over my supervisor wondered what the heck I was doing and came in to ask me if I was alright. I sat on the bed and cried for a good 10 minutes because I thought I'd hurt the Hoover. So embarrassing!!

Reactions: 7 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hoover hypos ( although I think mine was a dyson):) -- this one might not count as it was a night time one( bout ( 2:30am ) so only my OH saw it but I was that hoover -- apparently I was using one foot and zipping it up and down the bed and when asked what I was doing said i was hoovering:D

Reactions: 8 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@himtoo sorry diabetes doddle technology nightmare.
@therower -- just post your worst or second worst or any worst hypo on this thread
that will let lots of people read the huge thread that this is and keep it alive -- it is a scary yet funny read for all of us !!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was 8mths pregnant going up an escalator on the London Underground. Not nice but I would have had a cushioned fall with all those people behind me. Oops! Did I really say that. lol

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@himtoo OK one more before bedtime. Many years ago works factory was next to local co op. Usual scenario, sugars start going low but got time to sort it out myself. Decide to go to the co op to get food. As we all know low sugars can equal irrational ideas. So I purchased and ate a full bunch of bananas 7 to be exact. Don't really remember much about going low but vividly remember being sick for the next maybe 6hrs and having to go home. I believe you can get potassium poisoning from too many bananas, don't quote me on this though. I know for fact though that 7 bananas are not a good idea if you're going hypo .

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i bet chiquita love you though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is my original worst place hypo post that I posted in the wrong place. It's a cold winter's morning and I wake up/ come round clutching and kissing the red hot feed pipe to the bedroom radiator. I ask my wife what happened, she says I've had a hypo and fallen out of bed. I'm curious to know how I came to be where I was, so she says she rapped the duvet around me and pushed the bed up against me so that I wouldn't move whilst she went to get me some weetabix. Laughed for rest of that day, still smile now and still love the wife. Will never forget the pain of a burnt tongue, blistered lips and 4 badly blistered finger's.

Reactions: 2 people

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of my worst hypos came at about the 41st km of a marathon. I had been trying to beat my time from the previous year so was really pushing hard. This was pre diagnosis so hadn't a real sense of the seriousness. I shoved down my last few squares of chocolate, drank the last of my water and carried on slowly staggering to the finish line. I was very nauseous and weak close to passing out. I don't know how I made it other than extreme determination. I pretty much collapsed on my husband at the finish line and was physically ill for several days after that. Definitely would not continue like that again! After learning that I am diabetic, my best friend laid down the law and said no more hiking without her. I am signing her up for a mountaineering class and told her with a smile about some of the great adventures WE are going to train for ;) She is a little worried about keeping up but together I know WE can do it.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 5 people