Would appreciate some advice please.

Peeejaay

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People!
Hello All,
I have not been diagnosed as diabetic or prediabetic but I'm certain I am. My FBG this morning was 8.3, I have on and off blurry vision, excessively thirsty, excessively hungry, depressed, zilch energy and generally feel like giving up atm.
I've been eating lchf (under 20g a day of carbs) for over a six weeks now but my FBG is continuing to rise. When I went to see my doctor she said I wasn't at risk and basically told me to stop wasting her time. My blood pressure is good but my circulation is terrible, I get pins and needles in hands and feet and lots of cramp in my legs. My father had type 2 and died youngish from complications of it. If I try to fast at all, I pass out. I also pass out after a bath. I really need help here but not sure which way to turn. I tried the 8 week blood sugar diet but couldn't cope with the small amount of calories, plus found a lot of the foods in it raised my blood sugar even higher, beetroot etc. I don't smoke, don't drink, cook all meals from scratch but unsure what to do now. I just feel awful all the time. If anyone can help I'd be grateful. Thank you.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am at a bit of a loss what to say apart from get another doctor. There are some pharmacies (Loyds) that do diabetes checks so I suppose you could get tested there and maybe that will add a bit of weight to your story next time you see your doctor.

Reactions: Prem51

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
^^^ What Squire Fulwood said. As many of us have found, you'll have to take control of your health in the absence of NHS help. While you're seeking out a decent GP and/or diabetes nurse, have a good read on here to see how others have turned their lives around. Your symptoms are familiar to many of us. It would be silly to tell you not to worry, because you're in what I call the Worry Hole, which is horrible I know. But if you can make some decisions about how to proceed you will worry less.

stewpot65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars.
^^^ What Squire Fulwood said. As many of us have found, you'll have to take control of your health in the absence of NHS help. While you're seeking out a decent GP and/or diabetes nurse, have a good read on here to see how others have turned their lives around. Your symptoms are familiar to many of us. It would be silly to tell you not to worry, because you're in what I call the Worry Hole, which is horrible I know. But if you can make some decisions about how to proceed you will worry less.
If you can go to your local chemist and get checked your symptoms sound similar to what i had and i have type two, but that does not mean that you have diabetes, oh and get a understanding doc good luck, and let us all know how you get on.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with the above. If you have family risk factors, symptoms, and diabetic readings on a home metre you need to get professionally checked. If your usual doctor won't order labs, try a pharmacy as recommended above or another doctor for a "second opinion."

It sounds like there's something going on, whether or not it's diabetes (could be some other underlying issue), and figuring out what could be important (if it's something else, dietary changes might not help and you'd be putting yourself through all that for naught).

Have you ever had blood sugar tests? How old are you? They should be routine periodically after a certain point, especially given your father's health history.