Would like to try the omnipod

steveo4

I was using the Accu Chek insight pump but just hated the tubing being attached to me all the time. I wanted to try the omnipod but was told it is not available at my hospital so the only option was to go back to injections which I am now doing. I was just wondering if there is any way I could try the omnipod and who I need to contact to make this happen.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@steveo4 If it's not one of the pumps 'approved' by your hospital then you may have a hard job getting funding for one. You could try speaking to your consultant and explaining why you want one. Someone here worked out the cost of the Omnipod over a year compared to other pumps, but I can't remember who. Try a search.

Did your hospital offer you any alternative pump to the Insight to try?

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I personally love the omnipod. As azure says speak to your consultant and find out what the chances are, explain your situation. I went on the omnipod for the same reason u like it. I love the freedom of not being attached to anything. I hope u manage to get one X X X

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I was using the Accu Chek insight pump but just hated the tubing being attached to me all the time. I wanted to try the omnipod but was told it is not available at my hospital so the only option was to go back to injections which I am now doing. I was just wondering if there is any way I could try the omnipod and who I need to contact to make this happen.
Hi Steve, as your CCG have coughed up over 3 grand for your pump they will not be funding you another one for another 4 years which is the warranty on your pump.

Personally I can not see the what the tubing issue is as it comes in different lengths and I do not even notice the tubing.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @steveo4 - I'm on the Insight, and although the hosepipe doesn't bother me, and I really like the unclippability of a tubed pump for swimming and showering, both of which I do a lot, I had been finding that I was quite 'aware' of the tubing specifically when I had the cannula in my tummy.

Thanks to a guy in my pump gang (one of the others who started on it at the same time as me) I started putting the cannula round the back of my spare tyre - it's much less obtrusive. I use the 70cm hosepipes and any excess I just wind around the pump so it doesn't hang about getting in the way.

Might it be worth trying different sites for your cannula?

I do though really get that the tubing is an issue for some when it comes to pumps - I had been ever so worried myself, for instance - so I fully appreciate that the Omnipod feels like something you'd like to try because it's tubeless.

Hope it all works out.

:)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've just looked at some of your other posts Steve and see you were on a pump for 5 years previously! So really can't see what your problem is. You posted the comment below about 17 weeks ago.

I was in a similar situation to you hollie I was on the pump for 5 years and earlier this year like yourself I got completely feed up with it and have now gone back to injections and I dint miss it at all but if I was offered the omnipod then I may give it another go but that is unlikely as my hospital don't have them