Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pump?

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Re: Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pum

Scoop4 said:
That's why you need to insure it. My pump is on my home insurance it's is what you do with expensive items in case they get broken. The pump would probably be good for you if you exercise that much it can be really fine tuned to your body.

I mean incase I come off and it gets taken out of me. I know you can take them off for showers etc. How long can you take them off for?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Beav, I think you'd have more damage done to you from falling than from the tiny cannula getting ripped out that's if it got ripped out as they are fairly secure. When my daughter exercises her bg usually drops so she can comfortably do an hour without the pump, sometimes she can go longer. If she wants to be longer without the pump then what we do is after an hour we test bg, if it's still low enough she can go another half hour with us testing every half hour. If her reading is creaping up a little then we'll plug the pump back in, do a small bolus and then unplug again and she's good for another hour. She's been swimming and gone 2 hours without the pump doing it this way and it has worked fine for us like that, haven't tried it longer than 2 hours but it might work this way for longer, would need to test and see.

Scoop4

The pump providers say you should only disconnect from the pump for an hour at the most as longer can lead to loss of stability as the pump only deals with fast acting insulin. While your daughter sounds fine on how she exercises it's not something they recommend.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Scoop4 said:
The pump providers say you should only disconnect from the pump for an hour at the most as longer can lead to loss of stability as the pump only deals with fast acting insulin. While your daughter sounds fine on how she exercises it's not something they recommend.

This was suggested by our DSN and it works well for us. As I say haven't done longer than about 2 hours and there is a small bolus done after the 1 hour mark if necessary so not quite the same as disconnecting the pump and not receiving any insulin at all over this period of time :)

Scoop4

I get wrong from my consultant cos I disconnect for hours at a time as when I have a hypo it can last for hours keep getting told about ketones. They tell me to programme in a temporary bolus but I think you know your own body you should do what works for you.

scottishbrian

SophiaW said:
Scottishbrian - how did the pump break without you realising it?

I have no idea... wasnt the best experience! Doctors just decided to bring me off it after that even though it seemed to do the trick.. I think I was one of the, if not THE, first people in my area to use it.

Bucco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I would LOVE to have a pump and CGM....would make my life soooo much better.

How? Last 90 days - 860 bg tests, 540 injections. Why so many I hear you cry - well last two A1c, 9.2 to 5 in three months and I want to keep it there!

CGM would get me down to only a couple of finger pricks a day and the pump would give me a changeover once a week with the latest/greatest pumps available - plus I would be able to avoid these f'in hypo hangovers - when I've dropped at about 4 in the morning and rebounded with a bg of 9+ on waking, then spend the whole day *trying* to get bg down to 5.5....grrrrr

SandraR

After reading one of the above posts, I would just like to point out that there isnt a needle which stays in on a pump. It's a tiny cannula (tube) inserted by a needle which is immediately withdrawn. The cannula can be Teflon or steel. Once in place, the pump can be disconnected from the cannula with a simple click release. Therefore it is easy to remove the pump for activities which require it. If it is necessary to remove the pump for more than an hour, it is possible to click it back on, take a bolus and remove it again in seconds.

dowuchyalike

I'm on a pump and have been for over 2 years now. My HBA1Cs were always good but I was able to convince the PCT that they only told part of the story and that the truth was that as a personal trainer with an incredibly physically active schedule I was finding it ever more difficult to keep on top of things. A basal-bolus injection regime just wasn't flexible enough to account for the range of activities that I undertake in an average day. Now with a pump, I can adjust my basal rate to allow for unplanned sessions or equally for cancellations, and most importantly, I'm able to avoid the night hypos that were such a common feature of the old injection regime.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I am on injections and I'm used to doing it for 23 years. Having said that I have been going through eratic blood sugars and I am currently going to the hospital to try and stop the many up's and downs, which is not good at all. I would prefer to stay on injections, currently taking NovoRapid and Levemir as having a device stuck into my body doesn't appeal to me, but if I was told that it would be in my best interest for a more stable diabetic control then I would do whatever is necessary to help my diabetes. Maybe Im just too long in the tooth for changes :? :problem:

Maundown

I have been on a pump for over 10 years. It is, by far, the best thing at the moment. It makes such a positive difference to your life in so many ways, despite it being there 24 hours a day. The only time I take it off is when I have bath or go swimming for a long time (>30minutes).

Rayh78

I have been on a pump for 3 years now and the good far out numbers the bad,
I had a Hba1c of 15.2 it is now 9.3 it's not perfect but it's going in the right direction .
The major bonus for me is having programable basal insulin I have more for 4 hours in the night then another for the morning and less in the afternoon
Plus I can stop it all together when playing football
So for me the pump is the best thing to happen for my diabetes in 26 years .

Nomibutton

I'm on a pump have been for 2 months. It is amazing I have always had problems controlling on injections as I need tiny amounts through day and more at night. Im 26 and had diabetes 24 years.

I am using the omnipod tubeless system - first in Cumbria to have one- it is amazing and is so quick to change with no need to worry about air bubbles or tubes. Since I have started the healthcare team are recommending them to others. You press start on the remote and it inserts the needle and retracts it leaving the plastic in your skin all with the press of a button and in 0.2 seconds!!! I have a fear of needles and its amazing to never see one! To buy I think the remote which is also your testing meter is £350. And pods that come in a pack of 10 are about 20 quid each and replaced every 3 days ( old one thrown out) the support mylife team are great to give a call for information and they send out a dummy one to stick on and see how it feels without the needle.

It makes me sad to see so many people trying to get a pump and not getting one. NICE guidelines say you should be offered a pump if
: you take more than 4 injections a day
: suffer dawn - high blood sugars in morning
: fear of needles
: hba1c over 8.5 ( I think) while trying of injections

There are other routes but these are a few on the guidelines that are sometimes not pushed by diabetic teams.

Sorry this is so long I hope it helps someone. Pumps are alot of hard work - I do 9 tests a day but so worth it.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football

I would love a pump!
I have been type 1 since I turned 13 in 1977. I have never had a "good" hBa1c they've always been 8 or above :oops:
I have worked as an estate worker (ie gardener/groundsman/aboriculturalist) for all my working life and as you can guess I have many hypos during the week and many high`s when not working. My levels yoyo. I can get early morning lows ie 1.8 last Saturday at 3am and post breakfast highs ie 18.4 Sunday week ago. Judging how much exercise I will be doing /have done is hard work at the best of times and a nightmare for the rest. I am now starting to get complications (proliferative retinopathy and loss of sensation in my feet)
I test 7 to 9 times a day and inject at least 5 times.
The idea of a pump sounds like heaven

Nomibutton

Ivinghoe- it's sounds like you qualify on a few reasons for getting a pump- different routines each day you find hard to manage and your level over 8 although you do tests. Doing a daphne course was my route onto a pump. The guidelines were explained and I knew it was what I needed and a month later I had an appointment with hospital diabetic team and got approved. I had the pump a month later. It's the best thing I've ever done for my control. :0) hope this helps

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football

Hello Nomibutton thanks for the reply :)
I have done a similar course to Dafne that was offered by my Diabetic Team .. they called it Fefi... flexible eating flexible insullin. By all accounts it would appear the same as dafne.. they even used some of the meal cards for carb estimating that dafne use so hopefully I have that side covered pretty well. I will pop the question next visit which isnt till the new year but at least I will have plenty of ammo to put my case
cheers
Al

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Like a few others I've been on pump for a couple of years and prior to that I was on multiple injections for 12 years. I agree being on a pump is bliss. Everything is much easier to organise, your life is able to be more spontaneous. I remember being at school, at times I had high blood sugars and would be unable to concentrate in class. During PE I would have to take breaks from play to have glucose tablets and sit out during hypos. An insulin pump would have solved all these problems. I think all children should be allowed a pump, of course with supervision from a trained adult and perhaps a lock on the pump to disable bolus corrections.

I started having a lot of seizures 2 years ago, due to hypos. My diabetes team (in Newcastle) decided to try me out on an insulin pump and it made a world of difference. I still had a couple of unexplainable seizures, but these were due to my undiagnosed epilepsy (now under control with tablets). I liked doing a lot of jogging but was finding it difficult to go long distances and not have low blood sugars (during and after). Being on a pump helped a lot, having the option to either stop insulin or lower the basal rate and maintain my levels. I've now ran my two best times on GNR with an insulin pump and would never go back.

Hannahs Mum

Apologies in advance - very long post.

My daughter was diagnosed just over 2 years ago, just before 5th birthday. She has had the pump for 13 months. Some of what I say below may be dis-regardable, considering she was a scared and headstrong child.

Our experience with pump has not been good, although it is finally improving and we seemed to be in the minority with all the problems we had and the length of time we had problems for.
When starting pump we were told to give it 2 weeks to settle in, getting the hang of cannula's/getting doses right etc but we had problems practically every day, on top of being tired having to do checks through the night to check dosages. However, I was on facebook groups (for parents of diabetic children - so I was discussing it with like minded - whereas people reading this may be adult suffer-ers) so at first I got alot of support but I think they even got fed up of my constant complaining and when other people posted about pump v's mdi I would give my opinion but the original 'poster-er' would not thank me. The one thing that annoyed me was that everyone said it is difficult for a couple of weeks, but did not say specifically what to expect whereas I would list all our problems in the hope that the 'post-er' would know what can possibly go wrong.

Here is a list of the problems we suffered.

Cannulas not sticking. At one point I had to use 4 tegaderms a day, despite using cavilon. SOLUTION. After a long time of mentioning to my nurse with no solution, I got hold of another nurse who told me that when you spray the cavilon, then insert the cannula, you then have to spend a good 5 mins rubbing and breathing on it to heat it up, which increases the stickiness.

Cannulas not working. I would say that for up to 8 months at least half would go wrong. In other words instead of changing every 2 days we might have to change 3 days in a row. The way you detect a cannula is not working is that BG's go high and despite correcting after 2 hours then leaving another 2 hours(so 4 hours overall), the BG's have still not declined. You then need to check for ketones and change cannula.

Pump failures. Many possible reasons.

Regarding cannulas not working and pump failures. Many scenario's incorporated into 2 headings, but back when I was on facebook I thought they were all separate issues, I have learned alot since then. So - possible reasons ....

Repeatedly using same sites - my daughter would only allow us to use her thighs, the same sights she had been using for MDI's since diagnosis, therefore the legs got very bruised and fat lumps formed. This could have caused the cannula to not be able to deliver insulin AND can cause the pump to fail, as it thinks there is a blockage. Pump failure automatically prevents it form even attempting to deliver further doses - ergo you HAVE TO change cannula. In our case it was always failing between midnight and 5am, causing many sleepless nights considering you then have to check BG's and do corrections 2 hourly.

Type of pump case being worn in bed. Another possible reason we had the problems with cannulas/pump failure, was the case she was using in bed. The line exits the case at he back of the pump, agains the skin. Picture this - the line exits the pump at the side, so it then has to back up to exit the case at the back. in our case it is possible the line was getting pinched against the 'corner' of the pump. We now use a camera case which holds the pump so that the line is pointing up and made a hole in the case at the top, so the line exits the pump in a straight line.

Many confusing pump functions. I had my confidence knocked when Hannah ended up in hospital with DKA. As the pump only uses fast acting (delivers tiny amounts constantly) if insulin stops being delivered for any reasons ketones can develop very quickly. Hannah had been ill (not eating) so I had done a temporary reduction in the basal rate (the tiny amounts I mentioned), then the pump failed at approx 5am. An hour later she vomited and I discovered her ketones were 5+.
Important lesson learned if hospitalised with DKA. I didn't take ketone blood meter as I expected hospital to have one. Apparently not. They were testing with urine. Luckily our nurse was there from late afternoon and she argued for us that once urine test went below 2 we should be allowed to go, as ketones are present longer in the urine than in blood. She was right, when we got home tested with blood and ketones were 0 despite being 2 in urine.

Cannula wounds take longer to heal than injections. Hannah is getting bruised up to the same condition on sites we have only been using for approx 4-5 months, compared to 1 year of injection sites.

In my opinion the pump can double the problems. If at school (or an adult out and about/working) and pump/cannula fails, have to get home to change cannula. Depending on what the problem (how long it goes on for, you may need to correct with pen so always have to have those supplies as a back up. This is as opposed to MDI, where, once you have injected you are sorted until next injection required.

I have been typing this for almost 1 hour now so I will leave it there. Food for thought! I will round off by telling you why things have improved. After being on pump for approx 8 months I rang doctor and threatened to go back to injections. Despite months of complaining and asking for answers it was this threat which got results. I will never know what was causing our problems as 3 things were changed at the same time. 1 - we got a new pump. 2 - we got a different type of cannula which made it easier to persuade Hannah to try different sites and 3 - we swapped pump case.

The one good thing I will say is that since the above changes and things settling down, her HBA1C is the best ever (but still slightly high at 8) and you can correct if high without need for additional injections. Also nice to be able to give insulin for snacks instead of either ignoring snack and the correcting at next meal or giving extra injections.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football

I found your post to be interesting and informative HannahsMum. Could you let me know which pump you had and now have?

Pneu

HannahsMum.. thank you for giving such a detailed account.

I have been on my pump for less than a week so a bit difficult for me to comment.. thus far I am loving it but I can see why it may be more awkward with a child.