Would you want to go back to eating the way you used to?

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I notice that in several threads people refer to the possibility of being cured and being able to go back to eating what you want. Now I doubt anyone here would argue that not having to watch what we eat would be great, but I do wonder how many would actually want to go back to what we were eating before, particularly those like myself that ate particularly unhealthy diets and just kept putting the weight on.

For myself I feel far better now that my carb intake is reduced and I don't think it is just the BS levels, and my weight is finally reducing slowly. I know I could easily slip back into all the snacks but even those aren't as appealing as they used to be.

The other one that made me think about this was a friend going on about one of the wonders of their local chippy, a deep fried battered potato wedge served in a burger bun, the thought of that much stodge turned my stomach, but a few months ago I would have thought it worth trying. It made me realise that my whole attitude to what I want to eat is changing for the better.

I should also add that this is assuming that a miracle happens and you are cured, would you want to eat what you used to.

Reactions: 10 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I miss eating as I did, because my treats were very occasional, like fish and chips every 2 mths, or the odd pie. Sweet and sour chicken in batter. They were my treats, the rest of the time I ate properly so I do miss them. Never was a sweet eater but every now and then a slice of carrot cake was nice.

Reactions: 6 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss the ease of things like toast and a baked potato but other than that I am not sure I would want to eat as I did before. That way piled the weight on and made me feel lethargic as well as bloated and in pain with IBS.

Reactions: 11 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my new figure and my size 12 clothes. I went right through my wardrobe recently and chucked out absolutely everything that was a size 16 or above, mostly 18's. Much of it for the charity shop, some of it in the bin. Some still had labels on!! My wardrobe is now quite sparse as I slowly build up with more stuff, but my goodness, there are never going to be any more bigger sizes in there. Ever. Never again. That isn't to say I won't ever refuse a lovely vanilla slice in the future, or a chip shop fish with batter (I always scrape off the batter if I have one now.), or a piece of toast and marmalade, but these will be treats and not routine.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that where I went wrong before is not seeing those things as treats. If I fancied fish and chips I had it. Now , I know that such things need to be few and far between ( if ever) and that having even so called healthy carbs with every meal is not only not necessary but dangerous to many.

Reactions: 7 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know, it's hard to imagine going back to the Official NHS Approved Healthy Diet, which we used to eat, but, if there were no restrictions on what we could have, life would be easier on holiday. I've walked the streets of several European cities, especially northern ones, trying to find a pleasant, inexpensive, low carb meal. And in Italy, is used to be so nice to be able to pick up a slice of pizza, or have an inexpensive pasta lunch. But, at home, I'm not sure any of it is a genuine problem.
Sally

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can't go back! So the question is rhetorical. I'm certain that the option to return to eating all the carbs and sugars would be moot if it low carbs was the only option. How healthier would the world be?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well I used to take pleasure in making all my own stuff, daft as it sounds now. I would buy the flour from the local mill, I would make pizza dough, sour dough bread and even homemade pasta. I've said before and I will say it again. I envy those who have lost weight low carbing, it would make it easier. Because a quick pasta dish with lemon and parsley was quick to make and tasty. Now its prepare the veg, chop it all up etc etc.

Reactions: 4 people

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
I love my new figure and my size 12 clothes. I went right through my wardrobe recently and chucked out absolutely everything that was a size 16 or above, mostly 18's. Much of it for the charity shop, some of it in the bin. Some still had labels on!! My wardrobe is now quite sparse as I slowly build up with more stuff, but my goodness, there are never going to be any more bigger sizes in there. Ever. Never again. That isn't to say I won't ever refuse a lovely vanilla slice in the future, or a chip shop fish with batter (I always scrape off the batter if I have one now.), or a piece of toast and marmalade, but these will be treats and not routine.
VANILLA SLICE Hmmm.WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE SCRAPED OFF BATTER,I WOULD BE HAPPY TO
RECYCLE IT FOR YOU!! RICHARD

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
my general rule of thumb is if i crave it i just find an alternative to it , i fancied a snickers recently so decided to make my own bitesized ones did the trick same with toast if i fancy i bake my own bread and toast it , i wouldnt go back now x

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Phwoooarrr - would I eat what I used to???
**** straight - if I could do so with impunity.
Let's see:

home made five seeds brown bread
fried cheese sandwich with baked beans
chips - especially a chip butty in the home made brown bread
all sorts of pasta
Pies! Especially apple pies.
Fruit crumbles.
Then there are Mars Bars, Flakes, Kit Kats, Turkish Delight, huge bars of Cadburys Dairy Milk.
Mmmmmm....carrot cake.
Honey on toast
Almost anything on toast!
Mashed potatoes with sour cream
Roast potatoes
Parsnips - roasted
M&S baked cheesecake
All sorts of BBQ food in buns.
Oven bottom muffins (for those of a Northern inclination).
Refried boiled potatoes for breakfast.
Rhubarb sticks dipped in brown sugar
Fruit juice
Smoothies
All sorts of puddings including spotted **** and syrup sponge.
With golden syrup!!!!

Face it - 80% of the supermarket shelves would once more be a happy hunting ground.

Oh, and does anyone know how to get drool out of a PC keyboard?

Sigh.

LGC

Reactions: 16 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never want to go back to my old ways. I don't miss any food, only the convenience aspect if I'm staying with friends. I'll be hosted by friends for more than a fortnight soon and I am not looking forward to politely declining. Having said that, they are lovely friends and will do everything and anything to help me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

If you mean go back to the year leading up to diagnosis when I was overwhelmed by insulin resistance, compulsively overheating food I didn't even enjoy, falling asleep standing up and worrying I was going mad, then no.

There is an advert on the telly at the moment where a guy puts a blob of butter on the end of a white baguette and for a second I think....oh yes! But on balance, probably no, as I wouldn't want another year like 2013.

Reactions: 11 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i think the compulsive eating thing was the worst thing about my eating before. Shovelling a ton of pasta down and garlic bread then an hour later wanting more food, so bits of bread, crisps And the mood swings that I thought were all the menopause but seem to have improved on low carb. Yes I miss a slice of toast or having an apple when I fancy one rather than wondering if my BS are low enough but it seems a small price to pay for better health.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

i think the compulsive eating thing was the worst thing about my eating before. Shovelling a ton of pasta down and garlic bread then an hour later wanting more food, so bits of bread, crisps And the mood swings that I thought were all the menopause but seem to have improved on low carb. Yes I miss a slice of toast or having an apple when I fancy one rather than wondering if my BS are low enough but it seems a small price to pay for better health.
People often talk about the thirst, but the "hunger" is definitely a symptom too. It is not a real hunger though, plenty of food, but none of it giving energy. I was so ashamed. I once told my close friend that I was so out of control, I would scan the kitchen like the Terminator looking for carbs, but still they gave me no energy. Thought it must be a menopause thing too.

Reactions: 9 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
People often talk about the thirst, but the "hunger" is definitely a symptom too. It is not a real hunger though, plenty of food, but none of it giving energy. I was so ashamed. I once told my close friend that I was so out of control, I would scan the kitchen like the Terminator looking for carbs, but still they gave me no energy. Thought it must be a menopause thing too.

I often found myself just randomly stuffing food in my mouth. I'd be eating a chunk of bread with one hand and pulling more food out of fridge with the other one. I have always eaten large portions and my Mum who was once fat but now slim blames that, but i ate them at 8 and 1/2 st and never gained weight till i something( i blame hormone fertility treatment) turned me on to endless carbs.

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Way back on my teens my family thought 'I had hollow legs'.

One of the reasons my nickname stuck!

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no intention whatsoever!! I feel so much different and alive!! 7 weeks in on lchf, no indigestion, no tummy cramps etc..............considering I went "cold turkey" carbs wise I've taken to it so easily!!