Wow - it's working!

Supaloo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks,

The advice and encouragement is working.

Diagnosed last week as T2 with reading ranging between 13 - 23, at its worse. When diagnosed the Dr said my reading was 15.5 last Fri. I began the week by simply cutting out sugar laden food, but on the recommendation of supportive members of the community I consider LCHF. For the last 4 days I've been virtually carb & sugar free, lamenting the loss of fruit more than the carbs, and can honestly say the food has made me feel full. I decided it was time to get a meter, as I had no idea if any improvement had occurred, despite a little weight loss. I am thrilled to say my readings are now ranging between 9-11; I know this is still high, but it's going in the right direction. However, following a lunch today of Greek yoghurt, blueberries, strawberries and seeds - reading of 8.4 - yahoo:joyful:!

Thanks for your advice and help. Hope this will encourage other newbies & that I will sustain my commitment to a new way of eating.

Hwyl,

Sue

Reactions: 13 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Another Yahoooooo day, well done and keep up the good work, and the testing of course.

Supaloo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the continued encouragement!

Seeing the changes in your profiles makes me really hopeful :).

Reactions: 4 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It surprises the medical profession that such a simple and SAFE change to diet can have such benefits
Hana

Supaloo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mum was a nurse & she's very wary, but can't deny it seems to be having a positive impact. It will be interesting to see what they say if current progress continues. Very pleased so far.

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We all grew up in the high grain low fat time. It's hard getting your head around to do the opposite

Reactions: 2 people

Supaloo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9.2 yahoo! Excited by my lchf breakfast. So pleased you introduced me to this way of eating. Will update you on readings after this meal.

Attachments

• 1407664791772.jpg
    1407664791772.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 425
Reactions: 3 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
9.2 yahoo! Excited by my lchf breakfast. So pleased you introduced me to this way of eating. Will update you on readings after this meal.
Great, innit? :)

Supaloo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Disappointing reading 13.2, just confirming I need to be careful with fruit - bah! Oh, just remembered forgot the metformin - hmm...could also be a reason for the reading - off to get my meds - yuk!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Disappointing reading 13.2, just confirming I need to be careful with fruit - bah! Oh, just remembered forgot the metformin - hmm...could also be a reason for the reading - off to get my meds - yuk!

I've read that metformin will only lower your BG by 1 or 2 ( e.g. From 12.5 down to 11.5 ish), so don't count on it too much.

The main benefit of metformin is to lower your insulin resistence, over time, so that your body responds better to the insulin your pancreas produces. The effect is gradual.

One little tip you may find interesting, is how effective bursts of exercise are in bringing down BG.
Try it - take your BG, then run up and down stairs a few times, or something similar (a brisk walk to the corner shop, if you have one). Then wait a few mins, and test again.

There are some fab threads in the exercise section which explain that while exercise is great for BG control, different amounts, and different intensities, can have varying immediate effects.

And the REALLY good news is that the more unfit you are, the less exercise you have to do to reap measurable benefits!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

That's a shame as your breakfast looked great. What kind of yogurt was it? Was it a carby one?

Supaloo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a shame as your breakfast looked great. What kind of yogurt was it? Was it a carby one?
Full fat Greek Yoghurt. Not too freaked by the reading, especially, as I forgot to take the tabs. Clearly, I need both, but I'm confident that the whole regime is working, as I feel full and despite missing the fruit, I stuffed pre-diagnosis (thought I was being healthy), there is a significant improvement. The food, without fruit, is helping me avoid massive spikes. So far the incremental increase following a lchf meal is about 1-2, as opposed to 3-5 when I first recognised I had a problem.
So I am still very much in the' Wow' status.:)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Full fat Greek Yoghurt. Not too freaked by the reading, especially, as I forgot to take the tabs. Clearly, I need both, but I'm confident that the whole regime is working, as I feel full and despite missing the fruit, I stuffed pre-diagnosis (thought I was being healthy), there is a significant improvement. The food, without fruit, is helping me avoid massive spikes. So far the incremental increase following a lchf meal is about 1-2, as opposed to 3-5 when I first recognised I had a problem.
So I am still very much in the' Wow' status.:)
Perhaps you could try it again with only blueberries and seeds then again with only strawberries and seeds. Work out who the offender is. I saw a poster on here recently who was spiked by strawberries but dropped with apples. Unusual but true. You are getting there :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't you worry about that at all. BG levels fluctuate a lot and even vary from finger to finger. What you are looking for is a downward trend over time, months, not days. Just carry on doing what you have been doing. If you become more active, that will help too.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My cousin used to say "A taste on the lips puts inches on the hips a walk to the store puts the inches on the floor" not sure if its relevant but I like the anachronism.

Supaloo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
11.2 now, meds working. Lunch below - whoever suggested giant mushroom stuffed with blue cheese & halloumi - genius! I it. Too impatient to put it in the oven though (zapped), still looks ok. Getting into this whole reporting thing, & now I can do the photo thing, I will bore you with yummy looking meals.

Attachments

• 1407675440812.jpg
    1407675440812.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 376
Reactions: 2 people