Wrist Pouch? For Jelly Babies.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've decided to mess about with my metabolism a bit more and try taking a very few jelly babies in the last quarter of my long cycle ride to see if this stops me going quite as low at the end.

Not that I think I am going dangerously low (4.1 to 4.4 so far) but I'm just interested in what happens if I have a very small amount. Of course, this could give me a "boom and bust" effect depending on how my insulin production is currently working.

First practical problem; the ideal place for a few jelly babies is on my wrist so I can pick one up and munch whilst I am still cycling along.

I know the pros have tops with more pockets than whatever, plus gel packs tucked up the rim of their shorts, but at the moment my main cycling tops just have one zipped rear pocket where I keep my mobile phone.

So some kind of wrist pouch seems a good idea.

There are some, for example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pursuit-Running-Jogging-Cycling-Training/dp/B00SWVHCX2
which looks a bit bulky.

I assume exercising T1s are most likely to have this kind of thing. Any recommendations?

Edit: Of course, I could just take them on board when I stop for a drink - I can't manage drinking and cycling at the same time despite what the TDF riders seem to get up to. However a wrist pouch seems a more flexible solution.

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @LittleGreyCat , that sounds like a great idea, but I can't imagine a design of pouch that wouldn't require stopping pedalling to unzip or unfasten in some other way. Actually, perhaps velcro as a fastening would be most easily openable. My brief search for such a thing has so far been fruitless....

....but, tongue in cheek and thinking laterally here - jelly babies are easily impalable on something pointy - so how about THIS:

mCWvgthaq1zQVmeqfriey5w.jpg
There's capacity there to treat a LOT of hypos.......!

;)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LittleGreyCat . The idea sounds brilliant. Worthy of a visit to Dragons Den maybe.
I've never come across anything that attaches to your wrist that's big enough for some jelly babies but I have seen small pouches that Velcro to bike frames/handlebars which I think can be used for tools and puncture kit's.
Not sure if that might be worth looking at for your jelly babies.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've decided to mess about with my metabolism a bit more and try taking a very few jelly babies in the last quarter of my long cycle ride to see if this stops me going quite as low at the end.

Not that I think I am going dangerously low (4.1 to 4.4 so far) but I'm just interested in what happens if I have a very small amount. Of course, this could give me a "boom and bust" effect depending on how my insulin production is currently working.

First practical problem; the ideal place for a few jelly babies is on my wrist so I can pick one up and munch whilst I am still cycling along.

I know the pros have tops with more pockets than whatever, plus gel packs tucked up the rim of their shorts, but at the moment my main cycling tops just have one zipped rear pocket where I keep my mobile phone.

So some kind of wrist pouch seems a good idea.

There are some, for example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pursuit-Running-Jogging-Cycling-Training/dp/B00SWVHCX2
which looks a bit bulky.

I assume exercising T1s are most likely to have this kind of thing. Any recommendations?

Edit: Of course, I could just take them on board when I stop for a drink - I can't manage drinking and cycling at the same time despite what the TDF riders seem to get up to. However a wrist pouch seems a more flexible solution.

Jelly babies are likely to squish and melt somewhat. Would you prefer not to use gels?
https://www.torqfitness.co.uk/local-cgi/sh000001.pl?WD=a1c&PN=Snaq-Sample-Pack-378.html#SID=24
Any fitness gel would do the job.
The other thing you could consider doing is to put in a load of effort towards the end of the ride - so raising your heart rate and causing your liver to release the glucose you need. Unfortunately it's not exactly predictable with regards to how much your BGs will rise. You would also need to replace the energy lost after you finish too.
Alternatively you could add some carbs to your drink.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Today I finally got my other bike sorted. I had a much better ride because the bike suited me better.

Pre-ride 4.5, post ride 5.4 and I wasn't very knackered. A faster time as well.

I am concluding that if I push myself to the limit and end up dragging myself home with zero energy then my BG goes right down, but it seems to stay up if I still have a little in the tank at the end.

I have to put bursts of energy in all through the ride (small hills) so that probably frightens my liver early on.

My worst ride was when I followed another cyclist early on and upped my pace instead of ignoring him. No energy at all during the second half. I am assuming my liver gave its all quite early on and I was running on fumes at the end. That was the ride that ended with a 4.1. Whimpering at head winds does take some of the fun out of a ride.

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How about threading the jelly babies like beads and tie them onto the handbars? You'd probably have to ruin(used a different word that may be miscontrued) them to release them though:)

Last edited by a moderator: