Wrong needles

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I went to collect my prescription from the pharmacy and found that the prescription was for the wrong needles - for "GlucoRx FinePoint" instead of for NovoTwist. I confirmed 3 times on the phone call on Friday all the items on my prescription! They are 5mm and 31G, I have been repeatedly told by the diabetic clinic that 4mm 32G are what I should be using, that shorter and thinner is better.
I know the NovoTwist are 5mm, but they look shorter due to the design of the plastic bit, so they are much easier for me to use. Plus they are easier to attach to the pen, I never end up dropping them on the floor, with the screw on type I accidentally drop them sometimes.

I'm sure these new needles are cheaper. I'm not injecting insulin out of choice, I'm not choosing to cost the NHS money!

Do you think there is any chance of getting the correct needles or do I just give up? Seriously it's not worth the effort sometimes!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My 4mm/32G Microfine needles have been changed to 4mm/31G GlucoRX made in Korea; obviously a cost saving. The new ones aren't such a good quality on detail points. 4mm is the new needle standard for those who aren't too fat so I wouldn't worry so much about that. The thicker 31G makes them slightly more painful to inject. The new ones fit reasonably well with my Novo pens. As I use one needle per day for several injections I feel I cost save by using the needles more than once so would prefer to stay with the old needle as I'm saving cost thru multiple use. I don't think either of us has any chance of a change back

Reactions: 2 people

avalon67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Picked up my prescription from the pharmacy today, was told that the needles would be in tomorrow and that my surgery had changed the needles from BD microfine 4mm/32g to GlucoRX 4mm/31g. I had been advised by the hospital diabetes unit some six months ago to change from novofine 30g to avoid bruising and drawing blood. So I went round to the surgery and requested a prescription for the BD needles and that they change my prescription back, which they did there and then, saying no one else had complained. So it can be done!

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This happened to someone in my area recently and the nurse wrote to the GP and they changed it back :)