Wrong Position for Finger Pricking

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why, oh why do so many stock photos show finger prick tests on the tip of the finger, not correctly on the sides?

Attachments

• 1C8EBFF2-9AB7-494B-AC65-C7FF31F33376.jpeg
    1C8EBFF2-9AB7-494B-AC65-C7FF31F33376.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 941

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sadly these stock images are taken by companies who have no knowledge of medical conditions, perhaps we can sell some images of our own online of our poor fingers instead ?! Also notice the perfectly manicured, healthy looking finger tips, some of which don't look like they have ever worked either !! I would also hazard a guess that they are pretty old images too..

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess so. I hope newbies pick up on the correct position quickly. I wonder also if they’ve got out the cochineal bottle and it’s not even real blood!

Reactions: Jade0106
D

Deleted Account

For the same reason electronic toothbrushes are shown on the top of the tooth - because it looks aesthetically pleasing.
Who would do a finger prick test after seeing my knackered nails and pock-marked fingers with blood dripping down them?

Reactions: Juicyj

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a pre Cataract op check a couple of months ago & the nurse wanted to do a BG test & guess where she went to prick my finger. Yes you've got it right in the middle & when I shouted t her & removed my finger she turned round & said, 'Tkat's were we always prick' So I said perhaps then you all need to be retrained because when I was a medic in the navy we were taught to prick on the side & that was over 50yrs ago. She looked absolutely dumbfounded & then did it correctly

3 years of training for a nurse yet my training was 6 months & that included a lot more than nurse outside of naval life & we were not even recognised by the nursing profession as Registered nurses

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always used my finger tips!

Not because I haven't seen all the advice on here about using the sides, but because A) it hurts less and B) I can't get enough blood out of the sides.

I've only had one finger prick test by a medical person, and that was a paramedic. She used my finger tip.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
While in hospital earlier this year, I had my blood tested by an old school nurse. She said you must always test on the side of your fingers, as being a diabetic you are at risk of losing sight, and to read brail the last thing you need is desensitised finger tips.

A bit pessimistic but valid point I suppose.

Reactions: Salvia and ringi

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
While in hospital earlier this year, I had my blood tested by an old school nurse. She said you must always test on the side of your fingers, as being a diabetic you are at risk of losing sight, and to read brail the last thing you need is desensitised finger tips.

A bit pessimistic but valid point I suppose.
And a really old school Nurse might use your ear lobes, so all fingers can read Braille!
Or even ask the patient where they would like it done :)

Reactions: Rachox
D

Deleted member 308541

Also notice the perfectly manicured, healthy looking finger tips, some of which don't look like they have ever worked either !! I would also hazard a guess that they are pretty old images too..
Probably one of those hand models that are paid a ship load of money getting pix taken of them.