X-pert course - I was told no need to test?

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I went to my first (of 6) x-pert classes last week and we were all asked if we regularly tested ourselves. Out of almost 30 there were only 2 of us that did and we were then told we didnt need to. We would be monitored on our routine blood tests, as ordered by our GP's.
How are we meant to learn to control our diabetes if we dont test to see what spikes us?!
Its frustrating because I find that diabetics in general are slated and told we're diabetic because we're fat and unhealthy and told to "take control" but then denied the tools we need to do that.

oooh, that turned into a bit of a rant, didnt it? ;)

Reactions: 20 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That is staggering...

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seems crazy to suggest that you shouldn't test, how else would you know what effect food has on you or whether or not your getting to grips with your diabetes management :confused:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Type2 = X6 Xpert courses ? :wideyed:o_O
I only know of one day or 2 days split into 2 sessions Xpert or Desmond course's .
Being available here in the northwest lancs .

How come there is x6 of these available to you ?
Your profile lists yourself as a type 2 on diet .
Amazing to hear of - given all the lack of funds/budgets in hospital/clinics
We had a thread discussing this very fact recently .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only know of one day or 2 days split into 2 sessions Xpert or Desmond course's .

I'm in the Ribble Valley, Lancashire. Our X-pert course was one session a week for 6 weeks. Each session being about 2 hours.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its frustrating because I find that diabetics in general are slated and told we're diabetic because we're fat and unhealthy and told to "take control" but then denied the tools we need to do that.

summed up perfectly........:)

take what you can from the course and carry on as usual, which from the sounds of it, its on the right track.....

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had to attend local hospital via either 2 morning or afternoon session's .
Or a one full day session .
I chose the full one day session - to get it done and over with quicker .

Ahhh - it was a refresher course ! :woot:

This is how and why it was like this .
Still doing this too - at same local hospital currently .

I am Ribble Valley Lancs too :)

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anna, I was originally told it would be two half days on a Saturday but when I got the letter, its 6 sessions of 2.5 hours, same as bluetit says. This is in south Manchester.
I was in the minority, being diet only. I think there were again, only 2 of us not on meds - most people were on metformin, I think,

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anna, I was originally told it would be two half days on a Saturday but when I got the letter, its 6 sessions of 2.5 hours, same as bluetit says. This is in south Manchester.
I was in the minority, being diet only. I think there were again, only 2 of us not on meds - most people were on metformin, I think,
I only got one full day with both beginners course and then the Xpert refresher course .
Got them both done in a full day session .
How times have changed in less than 5 years .

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I went to my first (of 6) x-pert classes last week and we were all asked if we regularly tested ourselves. Out of almost 30 there were only 2 of us that did and we were then told we didnt need to. We would be monitored on our routine blood tests, as ordered by our GP's.
How are we meant to learn to control our diabetes if we dont test to see what spikes us?!

Pathetic, isn't it? The medical profession complain that too many T2s have uncontrolled BG levels and then give out advice that's almost guaranteed to ensure people remain uncontrolled (eat loads of carbs and don't worry about testing your levels). I am eternally grateful that I stumbled across this site after I was diagnosed because otherwise I'd have been diligently following their "advice" and paying the price

At the end of the day, it's your body and your health and they shouldn't be telling you to stop doing something that's helping you keep your condition under control. If I had been there, I'd probably have told them where to shove their advice and walked out (which is why I won't go on one of these courses ;))

Reactions: 4 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hi all,

I reported on the X-PERT course a few years ago:

The advice not to test is very common. It seems they use the HbA1c test to diagnose you, & give you a diet & lifestyle booklet. A few of us get access to a course like X-PERT but most are on our own. Further they tell us diabetes is progressive, so they monitor at least annually & add medication if considered necessary. I was assured that such progression wouldn't be my fault - it's the disease. It took 8 years for muscle pains to be crippling, but chronic tiredness & beginning of retinopathy & reduction of kidney function occurred earlier.

I learnt from this forum the importance of a low carb, increased fat diet, that has given me nearly 7 years of good health, with remission of all complications.

I understand that the author of the X-PERT course is piloting a low carb version of the course.

Reactions: 8 people
C

catherinecherub

I am lucky in that I get test strips.

I was talking to my G.P. about why some Type2s are denied them. He said that the CCGs (formerly Trust) imposed the restrictions but he was not prepared to deny people the chance of using them if they improved their control. He has to fill in a Justification Code whenever he prescribes test strips, for Type2s even for Type1s who need extra as the limit before justification is 100 per month, and he felt that some surgeries were worried about an escalating number of Justification Codes that would be flagged and scrutinised owing to costs. He would be reluctant to give them to anyone who is not committed to improving their control and who would not use them properly, even after education. He did say that some patients do not care about their diabetes and it shows with their results and food diaries.

He also said that there is very little evidence based data and the data there is needs updating to see if testing is improving results. He felt that if committed Type2s were issued with test strips then there would be more evidence as G.P.s could be surveyed to see what they have to say. It seems that Drs have to put their heads above the parapet and stand up for their patients.

His wife is a Type1 and I think he is more informed about diabetes than other Drs in the practice.

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I started a thread about trying to get testing strips off my GP. It was my consultant (again) that persuaded him to issue them on my prescription. It is typed on my prescription that it is my condition that allows the GP to prescribe them.
I did ask him to provide strips for the wife (T2) but I got a really weird look off him. She uses mine!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

When I did Xpert it was 6 X once a week 2.5 hr dessions Have never been offered any refreshers.
In Rossendale Valley, Lancashire.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
This lady is the overall boss of the X-Pert courses. http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/home/trudi-deakin

If you read her papers and blogs you will see she advocates carbs, but is slowly considering that low fats aren't necessarily the best way forward.

I've had some correspondence with Trudi Deakin on the subject of Low carb, high fat - following her speaking at the DUK debate last year, & Southport GP's success with low carb.

Thanks for the link, Bluetit, it's just been updated with her criticising low fat & recommending low carb, high fat! Buy her 89 page Handbook Low Carb/High Fat Lifestyle at a special price of £4-99.

This Handbook is an 89-page step-by-step guide to low carb/high fat living that includes full colour guides and photographs; menu ideas and recipes; tips to ensure success; frequently asked questions; scientific evidence that supports the diet.

If you would like to feel less hungry; lose weight and keep it off; improve blood glucose, blood pressure or blood fat levels whilst also reducing prescribed medication; reduce bloating and IBS symptoms; improve the appearance of your skin; diminish heartburn and acid reflux; ease the symptoms of premenstrual tension; improve your long-term health and reduce aging………..then this handbook is for you.

WOW!!!!!

Does YOUR X-PERT course include all that?????

Look at the link, print it out, & put the cat among the dietitians.

Reactions: 6 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I have never been on a course. I was offered DAPHNE soon after diagnosis, then was told no thats for type 1's and that was the last I heard about any courses.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It would be interesting to inform health care professionals that the top bod is now advocating low carb!!

Wonder how long it will take to pass the the line?

Wonder what qualufications the course leaders of the xpert courses have?