X-pert course - I was told no need to test?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts. show offs, rude people,
Hi. Not sure if this is the correct thread to post the following.....my apologies if it's not.

I attended a Desmond course on Monday, and the group were given Diastix to test urine. I used mine for the first time today, I wee'd on the stick, (which was turquoise), timed it for 30 seconds as instructed, compared it with the colours on the tube, and there was absolutely no change. It remained turquoise. The sticks are well within their use by date, I followed the instructions to the letter, so wondering what the problem is - if there is one. Thank you.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
The Diastix urine test strip was probably working correctly. The problem is it measures the level of glucose in he urine, not the blood, so:
1) the level is historic showing the levels of all the urine secreted by the kidneys since last time your bladder was emptied.
2) glucose will not spill over to your urine until the blood glucose reaches a certain level, usually 10-12 mmol/L
this means that the diastix will only show fairly high BG levels.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts. show offs, rude people,
The Diastix urine test strip was probably working correctly. The problem is it measures the level of glucose in he urine, not the blood, so:
1) the level is historic showing the levels of all the urine secreted by the kidneys since last time your bladder was emptied.
2) glucose will not spill over to your urine until the blood glucose reaches a certain level, usually 10-12 mmol/L
this means that the diastix will only show fairly high BG levels.
Thank you for your reply.

Caractacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a review of the current x-pert course here (Trudi Deakin's comments on her current views are just up thread)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...s-low-carb-high-fat.70271/page-12#post-737356

The main problem on mine was the "Eatwell Plate" thing and I got the idea the instructor knew better and was struggling to justify the obvious inconsistencies between that and what she was telling us about carbohydrates.