X-PERT course

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Ally,if you read my post again it says 'One size does NOT fit all'!!!

Low carb is not Atkins, Ally.I would have thought as a dietician you would know the difference.Low carbers eat a lot of veg,and fruit if they can,unlike Atkins which does not.
Anyway is there such a thing as a 'perfect' diet.As all humans vary then each and every one would have to have a highly expensive set of screenings to determine just what their bodies required in the way of nutrition.Now you and I know this is never going to happen!
A) because there just are not enough dietician's to do this ,and
B) because ,on the NHS ,the cost would be prohibitive.
So we are left with trying to do the best we can with what advice we can find.

sixfoot

Without question low Gi works, the sting in the tail is that the high point may not come for another hour or so after the normal 2hr test period. I believe its called the PIZZA effect.

Dave P

C

catherinecherub

Hi sixfoot,
Yes low G.I. does work. The essential part in the early stages is to test, test and test again.
I used to test 1hr, 2hrs, 3hrs after food and sometimes even 4hrs after. Once you are convinced that what you are eating does not hold any nasty surprises with your blood sugars later then you are O.K.
I can honestly say that I don't spike but I think the secret is not to just buy low G.I. foods and hope for the best but to get a book by a recognised author that tells you all about it. I use Rick Gallop's The low G.I. Diet. I don't think it would work for me without this. This was a recommendation from my Diabetic Nurse.
Regards, Catherine.

ally5555

sue - low carbing , atkins - they are all similar ! You cannot put much between them. I have not encounteres many low carbers eating fruit tho Sue !
The problem Sue is that the internet is also having a negative effect - do you believe everything you read ?

They are all very prescriptive.

There is no doubt low gi works - I have been using it for years on myself and patients.

hana I have some references somewhere in my email alerts - I need to sort them out and put them in a file !

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a big fan of the Cochrane Collaboration, their methodology and meta-analysis are usually excellent. It's good to see that they reported on the benefits of a low-GI diet.

It's also important to remember what it was they were actually comparing,
randomised controlled trials of four weeks or longer that compared a low glycaemic index, or low glycaemic load, diet with a higher glycaemic index, or load, or other diet for people with either type 1 or 2 diabetes mellitus, whose diabetes was not already optimally controlled.

So yes, no-one here would be surprised by their findings. Let's put in context, however. Nutrition & Metabolism have also recently posted a study, this time comparing the efficacy of low GI diets and low carb diets. http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/5/1/36

There were significant improvements in the low-carb group over and above those of the low GI group.

Low carbing may suit some people but it has to be at the expense of something else. If I was a diabetic would I follow it - no as I have tried to follow atkins for research purposes and found I could not .

Ally, you're not doing yourself any favours with comments like that. You'll find lots of members here who will happily tell you the expense incurred from their low carb diets. Lower HbA1c, lower bp, better lipids, lower weight, the lot. As for trying to tell us what you would do if you were diabetic, well, let's hope for your sake you never have to find out.

Al the best,

fergus

ally5555

another book that I think is better than Gallop is by Nigel denby - it is easy to read. Nigel is a dietitian often seen on the TV.

ally5555

tbh fergus - why do I need to do myself favours - it is a fact that low carbing produces an incomplete nutrition profile - something you will not face up to .

I am prob not likely to develop diabetes - I certainly do not have any risk factors but you never know.

We need some good long term research - 6 months is not long enough. The BBC diet trials had 4 types of popular diets - one being the atkins at a year the dieters had stopped following it . I think we need a middle ground - I would really be interested in how many people actually fall off the low carb wagon . It is not as easy as you seem to portray it fergus.

C

catherinecherub

As a low G.I. dieter I don't think my HBA1c is too bad either and all my bloods for cholesterol etc. are well within the normal range. I have to say that I don't care how people acheive their goals as long as they feel healthy. I have no axe to grind with anyone on this forum. I would not tell low carbers that they are doing it wrong and would hope that they respect how I chose to manage my diabetes.
What is said time and time again is that we are all different so please not another locked thread.
Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ally
where I do agree with you on some mattes, #iI don't on this.
You have NEVER told us what nutrients a low carb diet is deficient in. Let alone any that can't be got elsewhere.
It jiut isn't true that a low carb diet is incomplete. A low fat diet may be.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
sleepylu said:
Have just had my check 6 months after diagnosis, my Hb was 5.7 & was told that was on low side! Recommended I drop to 1000 metformin from 1500. And suggested i go on the local 6 x 2 hr XPERT course.
Has anyone experienced the course?

This is the original post and question,can we get back on track please.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
sugarless sue said:
Low carbers eat a lot of veg,and fruit if they can,unlike Atkins which does not.

ally5555 said:
sue - low carbing , atkins - they are all similar ! You cannot put much between them. I have not encounteres many low carbers eating fruit tho Sue !

Have the 2 of you read the same Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution that I have?!? There are pages and pages of fruits and vegetables that he recommends wholeheartedly...

Robert Atkins was one of the good guys. His book is written in a way that makes you believe he cares. All the recommendations in the book are based on ACTUAL RESULTS - words like "might", "may" and "could" are not prefixes to his advice.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
There is now a new thread for this ongoing argument .please transfer to it and leave this one to it's original subject!!!

ally5555

patch - i realise no one wants to face it but just a snap shot analysis showed that graham was actually the only one who didnt lack anything like calcium etc,

hana - I said i would publish the results and the RNI or rec daily intakes were in brackets so you could see that yours or any one elses profile was lower that the RNI.
If you want to address these deficiencies then you will have to look at diet again or supplement.

Back to expert - I was just in the local chemist and noticed the local diabetes branch meetings - if anyone lives in Cardiff there is a talk on expert from one of the local dietitians

ally5555

last point patch - low carbers do not seem to have any sort of consensus on what it means - everyone is chipping in with do this , dont do that - very confusing for everyone!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
ally5555 said:
last point patch - low carbers do not seem to have any sort of consensus on what it means - everyone is chipping in with do this , dont do that - very confusing for everyone!

As usual ,a huge generalisation,Ally,and an insult to those who are so well researched!!

ally5555

sue it is not meant as an insult truly but there is no consensus about what consitutes a low carb diet .

It is easy to find reseach on all the therapeutic dietary approaches with the internet.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I started a new thread for this subject,Ally .Why don't you go over there and tell us what is in a low carb diet,please.