xDrip questions

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
At least I now understand why previous transmitter recyclers have ground out the batteries. The Dexcom transmitter is a PCB with the batteries welded in and then an injection moulding of some sort around it. There is a lot of plastic in the little so and so and I've ground out down to the battery level before my disc lost its edge. The batteries are clearly tightly integrated into the moulding and the idea of removing them looks like it is not really a flier.

075456c3a88dd526c84367905e14dfc0.jpg

650c43b779786dfdd2cd8f7bf35954ad.jpg

This leaves me with two options.

1. Buy a transmitter.
2. Grind the contents of the batteries out, pulverising zinc and Potassium or Sodium Hydroxide in the process.

These latter ones are not really substances I want in aerosol form that could be inhaled. I think this may have come to a halt and I may have to purchase a transmitter. Boo. Unless anyone has tried recharging watch cell batteries...

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I bit the bullet and bought the Transmitter in the end. Part of my Easter weekend has been setting it all up. I'm now the proud owner of xDrip and a nice Sony Smartwatch 3 to watch it all on (as the nightscout stuff on Apple watch doesn't work). It's all great fun and I've downloaded and am running HAPP on the same phone. It's all rather cool and geeky, but tremendously useful for keeping an eye on what is going on. Is it better than the Libre? Well, it's, different I'll give it that. And the alerts are useful overnight compared with what you have from the Libre. The libre still retains a modicum of the finger test approach where you can go to bed and kind of ignore what's going on, however if you have alarms set on xDrip, no chance.

The HAPP software is also quite interesting. it does make you think twice about your actions in a way that normal use doesn't.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @tim2000s, I bought the xDrip some months ago, along with the Sony Smart Watch 3 and have found it brilliant for skiing in particular. I am using the xDrip software on my Android phone and find it even more accurate than the dexcom receiver. What is the HAPP software? I have done a quick google but nothing popped up. I found the alarms on the watch incredibly annoying, so just disable them within xDrip on the phone and re-enable them when I'm wearing the watch skiing.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What is the HAPP software?
It's an Open Loop Artificial Pancreas software. It's based on the OpenAPS code but runs on an android phone. They've managed to close the loop with a Dana R pump, but we don't have the codes (or the set-up yet) for either the Roche Spirit Combi or the Medtronic pumps.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a heads up @tim2000s myBG is available on IOS and has an apple watch app too. I'm looking to set up soon. Any hints or tips? (currently awaiting a 'Kit' and sourcing an android phone)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just a heads up @tim2000s myBG is available on IOS and has an apple watch app too. I'm looking to set up soon. Any hints or tips? (currently awaiting a 'Kit' and sourcing an android phone)
Yes, I've tried it. The issue with it is that it doesn't allow a complication which means that you end up having to open an app on the watch to use it.

The benefit on a pebble linked to android or an android wear watch is the you can use a specific watch face to do the same thing so it's always available on your wrist!