xdrip smartphone and libre - most comfy way to secure to arm

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
So my incredible husband is following @tim2000s and other's instructions on how to turn your libre into a cgm as the first step of an open loop system and he's now done the initial stage. I've tried keeping it on with tubigrip and although it stays in place it's rather uncomfy. I can see there are handy loops to keep the transmitter in place on the box. Can anyone recommend a material or product they've used to keep it in place that's comfier?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So my incredible husband is following @tim2000s and other's instructions on how to turn your libre into a cgm as the first step of an open loop system and he's now done the initial stage. I've tried keeping it on with tubigrip and although it stays in place it's rather uncomfy. I can see there are handy loops to keep the transmitter in place on the box. Can anyone recommend a material or product they've used to keep it in place that's comfier?
What about a small piece of velcro (transmitter directly fixed to the sensor) as opposed to a big tube grip that might make you sweat loads?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@tim2000s I currently have the smartwatch 3 but my husband is going to build the limitter when he's received the parts and then I can wear the smartwatch and see all the results.

@GrantGam1337 I find some of the velcro pump bands uncomfy and they're looser. I think the material used in the hid-in bands might be good but I'm not sure what it is.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tigger, I'd go for a lycra type material I think. I made an arm band for a prototype Limitter I built out of wet suit material as well, which worked quite well.

My issue with all the Libre "hack" solutions is that you end up with something sub-optimal. I ended up going with the xDrip wireless bridge and a Dexcom G4 when I went to HAPP as the footprint on my arm was significantly lower, and I only had to pay for a transmitter as an additional cost (which is now about £200). The Dexcom sensors definitely worked out cheaper as I was getting three weeks per sensor.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was implying that you could do away with an arm band altogether... Literally velcro your xDrip Bridge directly on to your sensor?

I have no idea what your end goal is with this project, so this might be irrelevant - but you may find that a G5 sensor, transmitter and xDrip on an Android smartphone (receiver) will not only be more portable, but also cheaper than Libre and xDrip Bridge?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
End goal at the moment is an open loop system. Ultimately a closed loop system but as I have a 640g I don't think that will be possible. I had enlite sensors funded for 5 months and had a very frustrating experience with them to the extent that I gave up. I now self fund libres and have had a lot more success with them. I'm rather nervous about investing in a dexcom and finding I have the same experience as with the enlite. @tim2000s I thought there was a post recently saying that the G5 sensors don't have as long an unofficial life as the G4s. Can you still buy G4s?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
End goal at the moment is an open loop system. Ultimately a closed loop system but as I have a 640g I don't think that will be possible. I had enlite sensors funded for 5 months and had a very frustrating experience with them to the extent that I gave up. I now self fund libres and have had a lot more success with them. I'm rather nervous about investing in a dexcom and finding I have the same experience as with the enlite. @tim2000s I thought there was a post recently saying that the G5 sensors don't have as long an unofficial life as the G4s. Can you still buy G4s?
G4 and G5 both use the same sensor. It's the transmitter and data variability that's changed. If you use the G5, you can get up to three weeks out of them but I don't get much more than 16-18 days. The G5 incorporates an algorithm in the transmitter to handle conversion, and I think that's where the issue is. With the G4, there's something about the way that the data is captured and published that means the lifespan seems to go on for longer. Probably best to see if you could borrow one either from Dexcom or your hospital.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the advice. How much are the G4 sensors?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I really like the hypo/hyper alarms on xdrip+ and the ability to alter the algorithm to your needs. That was my major gripe with the smartguard. The sensors were unreliable and you couldn't alter the smartguard algorithm if your insulin was anything apart from novorapid (which mine is)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
you couldn't alter the smartguard algorithm if your insulin was anything apart from novorapid (which mine is)
I'm not sure I understand? The only bit of the smartguard algo that's non-configurable is the suspend before low piece?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm not sure I understand? The only bit of the smartguard algo that's non-configurable is the suspend before low piece?

Yes. The premise of the smart guard is based on how quickly your insulin will work hence the suspending the basal. If your insulin is a slower profile (mine is). It doesn't work.