Xpert....

DaveNN

So, I'm now a few weeks in from diagnosis and all seems well.
Sure, I've lapsed with my low carbs...forgot my meds, had a few chocolate binges and had a few beers BUT I feel bloomin great.
Certainly better than I have for ages, possibly years!
My morning readings ( even with 2 x 500 metformin) a day can still be in the 8's from time to time....but my random BG levels are rarely more than a 7 ( with the occasional 3, 4,5 and 6 too)...when I can be bothered to take a reading, that is.

Anyway, I've been invited to attend an "Xpert" course, during which I will be able to better manage my DM, improve my lifestyle, quality of life, learn about up to date treatments etc etc.

To be frank, I'm not at all sure if I really need to go on this.
I find this forum to be a great help, inspiration and fountain of knowledge.
In addition, do I really want to spend 6 x 2.5 hr sessions, possibly being lectured and possibly bored witless....
I can do this at home!

So, and here's the question, has anyone else been on this course and was it worth your while.
If so, in what way?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nahara

I was diagnosed in October and I have recently completed a six week course which sounds similar to yours. It was sometimes a bit frustrating (especially when some people in the group insisted on rambling on about their meds, what the had for breakfast, etc etc!) but I learnt a lot of useful information as well, like exactly how diabetes affects the body. I would recommend it. Good luck! I've had a similar experience to yours so far and I've decided that I'm going to be sensible, but not too hung up about it!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Go for it with sny NHS course.... I'venever been offered o ne in 27 years type 1... I can always disguise myself and travel to attend instead of you!!!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wnet on the Desmond course and although it is very general in nature, there were some specific bit that I found new and interesting. Fine for a day course. Good fun though, some good humour and interesting tales. But, it was local, only one day and, because it was snowing, it had a bit of a festive atmosphere. I did meet an older pakistani guy whole told me who stocked wholegrain nans and chapatis. I've been since and very good they are too with little effect on the BG. I have them with chilli and ragu ala bolognese now, especially the methi rotis. Definitely worth going just for that tip alone.

DaveNN

Many thanks for all the responses.
I do work from home, especially on a Friday ( the day that it is on) and it's held literally down the road from me.
The links provided, again thank you, do appear to suggest that there is a fair amount of insulin talk etc.
I'm not really interest in all that..nor what someone has had for breakfast.
But..as I'm being ( in effect) paid to go...I may as well have a nosey!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Attend the XPERT course Dave and you will learn something, the key to living with diabetes and controlling it well is to learn as much as you can about your condition, if you learn just one thing from the course, and you'll probably learn much more, it will be worth it.

Knowledge is the key to controlling your diabetes, not just listening to a few internet warriors, not that theres anything wrong with this forum or the internet but anecdotal information is only a small part of the whole picture. :D

Go along with an open mind and take from it what you can :thumbup:

DaveNN

Thanks Sid.
I fully take on board what you are saying and appreciate the response.
The thing is, I'm not good at that type of thing and do tend to either get bored and switch off or ( like with work) take over the bloomin meeting.
I know exactly why my BG is still a bit high ( with an average of just over 7 since I got my meter between Xmas and new year)... It's because I've been a bit if a silly person and ate foods that are high in carbs..mainly cheap carbs too.

I will have a wander to the 1st one and see if it's for me...