Xtra food bolus xtra basal..excess food!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This is my 2nd xmas on combo pump.

Have had one xmas with a few hi's on pump.. And have had a few occasions ( quite a few!!!) to practice for this years food n drink excesses!!

My question:-
As on xmas day etc I can actually eat 2-3 times my normal food... I also put my basal on to 250% extra .... Thus keeping as well my basal n bolus ratios in line....

This works fantastically for me... Does anybody else have tips for excess at anytime of year.

Depending on what actual food is (choc sends way high 8 hours later) depends how long i keep basals running higher...

Does anybody else have tips on dealing with odd occasions of excesses??? Or dies everybody else limit themselves??

After25+ yrs of limitatiions at xmas, i join in with everyone else now.... Now lovin pump because of this!!!

Snodger

I'm not on pump so sorry to sneak into the thread (although actually my strategy is to keep jabbing QA during the day, keeping up with my xmas snacking, so I kind of turn myself into a pump for the day). But my question is about the chocolate thing. I'm really interested in the way choc has a very different effect on different people. When you go high 8 hours later, is that with all kinds of chocolate, or are you mainly thinking of the higher fat stuff like white choc? Does it do the same with, say, posh dark chocolates (I'm thinking the 70% cocoa solids stuff)?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Actually it isnt chocolate ... But chocolate cakes, xmas puds, or any puddingvwith chocolate or fat fruity things that I dont normally have... My mistake for putting chocolate.. I can eat that without probs... Just in general any pudding in restaurants, xmas puds... Or friends of ours make a lot of cakes... And if everyone else eats ... Then so do I!!!!

Puddings are the main 'sin' for me that makes me have to also put on additional temp basals.. I think it all goes hand in hand.... Generally i run at 50/50 ratio, so it makes sense that if suddenly needing higher bolus because of extra food, then keepin 50/50 ratio will mean more basal....

Means that i can eat the same as everyone else does now.... Couldn't do this on jabs...
Just wondered whether anybody else has any other tips that they do for extra food... Rather than extended food eating... I dont normally have puds... Doing a multiwave for extra food doesnt work for me as it just throws me really high first...and the mw doesnt suffice to then bring the high down...... Again same with extended.. I go really high within 2 hours....

Cheryl

I never consider my basal when eating different foods. I have always thought that the idea of a 50/50 basal/bolus is odd. Consider the situations: A person eating nothing for 24 hours needs 20u insulin (their fasting basal), the same person eating a diet including 100 g carb needs 30u insulin, but on a day eating 300 g carb, they'll need 50u insulin. Why would upping the basal help? Just take the right bolus for the meal & keep the basal the same, much more logical & easier to calculate. That's the simple solution for me.

Cheryl

Still submitted before I'd finished again.... My basal/bolus has always been around 70/30, which I'm always told by the DSNs is "not normal". However, they can't answer when I ask them on what carb intake is the "normal" b/b ratio calculated because, per my last effort above, the more carb in one's diet, the more difference there'll be in the b/b ratio. The whole point of a pump is flexibility, if I can maintain a diet which suits me (mainly veggie, so higher in carb), then my b/b ratio will never be in "normal" range. Do I care? With an hba1c of 6.5; no. Do what works for you, take most of what the HCPs say on advisement, most of us are not average and I often wonder where they get their average from, there's so many people on here who don't fit the average mould. Enjoy a feast at this time of year :)