Yellow diarreha

Northernangel

Hi everyone ..
Just wondered if anyone as suffered from yellow diarreha ? I was diagnosed about 18 months ago..
I'm on 1000 SR metformin a day..
About 30 mins after eating I get awful smelling yellow diarreha.
I've also got constant nagging pain in my upper tummy going through to my back that's tingling and itching.. I've been to my doc who says it muscle pain, which I don't believe.
I've been diagnosed with Gallstones so I don't know if it's that or my diabetes?
I think deep down I'm scared it's my pancreas ? But don't seem to be getting anywhere with my GP
Any help please

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First, is the Metformin the Slow Release SR version? I guess you're not eating one of the strange fish (Lirios) that has indigestible fat that the body drowns in bile to try to digest it. Not a pleasant experience but I'm sure it's not that and you need to seek a second opinion from another GP

Northernangel

Thanks for the reply ..Yes I'm on slow release version.. I've always had problems with my bowels from being diagnosed and going on Metformin but it's never been yellow? and I've never had this pain and tingling and itching..

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had your iron levels tested? I had problems with stomach pain and lots of upper GI distress while on metformin SR 1x500mg. Turns out the metformin was causing stomach bleeding and that's why my ferritin was so low. I never had the kind of diarrhea you're suffering from though had very similar pain symptoms.

The bleeding was too high to show up any other way than via endoscope and that wouldn't have happened if my iron hadn't been tested. So get your iron (and B12 because metformin interferes with absorption) tested.

Did you try the other version of metformin first? I sometimes wonder if the extended release version wasn't the cause of my issue because maybe it hangs around longer in the system? I was put on the SR version because of my existing GI issues. Looking back that was probably the main clue that I shouldn't have taken it at all.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to get lots of yellow diarrhoea until I worked out I was wheat intolerant. All my food used to rush through with bits of undigested food in it.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I get similar when I eat banana... So you may have a food intolerance. Get it checked by your doctor they will do many tests.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can be intolerant of wheat without being a coeliac. The easiest way to find out is to completely eliminate wheat from your diet (can be tricky as it's in just about every packaged food) for at least 3 weeks, then see if you feel better. If you don't you can always go back to eating it.

Certainly made a huge difference to my digestive health quitting wheat. I've had a couple of accidental exposures since then and feel ghastly (I swell up like I've swallowed a basketball), so I avoid it like the plague.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think that sounds like a good idea..
Il try anything at the moment..
Plus I persume no wheat will have the added benefit of low carbing I would think ?

It will definitely help with low carbing, as long as you don't replace wheat products with "gluten free" junk food :D

Be very careful reading labels - you will be shocked when you realise just how many products contain wheat - including soy sauce! The only brand of wheat-free soy sauce I know of is "Tamari". Wheat is in just about every processed food going.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone ..
Just wondered if anyone as suffered from yellow diarreha ? I was diagnosed about 18 months ago..
I'm on 1000 SR metformin a day..
About 30 mins after eating I get awful smelling yellow diarreha.
I've also got constant nagging pain in my upper tummy going through to my back that's tingling and itching.. I've been to my doc who says it muscle pain, which I don't believe.
I've been diagnosed with Gallstones so I don't know if it's that or my diabetes?
I think deep down I'm scared it's my pancreas ? But don't seem to be getting anywhere with my GP
Any help please

Since having my gall bladder removed I have had this problem, and it is bile acid diarrhoea, due to lack of my gall bladder. If you have gall stones my guess is that it is something to do with that. Could you not see a different doctor?
This is why I find Metformin difficult to tolerate as it adds to the problem! I hope you can get it sorted out soon.

Northernangel

Hi guys thanks for all your advice..
Been to the GPs and seem a different doctor.. He has referred me to a general
surgeon re gallbladder.. At least it's a start.. So I don't know if gallstones cause this yellow diarrhea or not?

Reactions: 5 people

cazza54

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Turnips and Tuna fish!
Not sure if this is helpful, but I often have the same issue. I am coeliac and also had my gall bladder removed many years ago. Perhaps my experience will add to the accumulation of information?

Regards,

Carol

Reactions: 3 people

cazza54

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Turnips and Tuna fish!
Yes to yellow. After I had it removed.

Regards, Carol

Reactions: 3 people

Northernangel

So not before you had it removed.. I can understand it being yellow after you had it removed as you haven't got the bile to break it down but don't know why it's yellow before I've had it removed ?

gizmo girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since having my gall bladder removed I have had this problem, and it is bile acid diarrhoea, due to lack of my gall bladder. If you have gall stones my guess is that it is something to do with that. Could you not see a different doctor?
This is why I find Metformin difficult to tolerate as it adds to the problem! I hope you can get it sorted out soon.
Hi Beshlie. I've had my gallbladder removed & have same problem with diarrhoea, are you on metformin??? I've been on it for 7 weeks & having terrible trouble. If your not on metformin what do you take? Thanks in advance Sam