YES we got funding

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello, so ive just heard we have been given approval for funding on a pump and im over the moon what a perfect end to 2010 just had to share :D

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news! :D - a lovely christmas pressie and a perfect start to a new year!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanx i am chuffed to bits has nearly taken a year to get this far but to have the approval is amazing, i now cant wait to get the pump so my little lad can be more normal instead of the violent mood swings and such high and low blood sugar swings
:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations!

My pump arrived in the post yesterday... it was like a second Christmas. Massive box, with lots of other boxes inside containing all the extra bits and accessories that go with it.

Now just got to wait until Jan 13th to be told how to use it all!

Hope it's a smooth process from here on in.

Sam.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanx shedges just out of interest how long did it take u from getting funding to getting the date?? i know it isnt quick just wondered how much longer we have to wait :D

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It took me a few months. The main reason being that my diabetes centre does two 'pump starts' per year. One in January and one in July. Therefore, if you get funding approval in August or September, and there's no medical necessity to rush, they add you to the January start. Hence, it can take quite a while.

I started the process around August time. They knew I was interested in a pump, but that was when I got serious. I had to do a kind-of interview to assess my suitability and commitment to pump therapy, then had a follow up presentation a couple of months later to decide what pump to go for.

And finally, yesterday, the pump arrived.

I don't know if all hospitals do set dates for pump starts... my guess would be no, so it's probably worth asking your contact when it's likely to all go through.

Sam.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanx i def will when i next speak to her was just curious i asked in march last year if we could be considered but the last few months my DSN has really pushed for us getting consultant backing, i know the nurse said u usually do 2 half day training sessions but she was going to ask the lady who comes in if we could do a full day only as we have had the pump before borrowed from hospital to use the continuous blood glucose monitor so know the ins and outs of the machine menus etc. cant wait to find out more really my son s aprehensive but willing to give it a try so we will see i guess hes just frightened about the unknown really which i cant blame him
thanx for ur help x