Yet another Newbie!!

Hi, I am Denise and I live in Seattle, Washington USA and I have been diagnosed with Hypoglycemia. Here in the states our numbers work a little different than yours so please bare with me until I research to find out the correct way to post my numbers. My situation is made a little more unique by the fact that I have had a Gastric Bypass (2006). Sometimes what I think is related to the Hypoglycemia is actually from the bypass and vice versa. I am looking forward to reading the posts here as I have found that the research in these areas is far more advanced overseas than it is here. I am 41, divorced, mother of 4. I can not work right now because on top of all this, I have just been diagnosed Bi-Polar. I am still searching for a diagnosis that might encompass my symptoms that is a single disorder and not a compilation of disorders. I have never been on more medication in my life. One of the medications I was placed on January 2010 is believed to be the cause of my Hypoglycemia, but I don't know how that is even possible. So, as you can see, I have a lot of questions and need to do a lot more research. I am glad to be here. Thank you for letting me join your site.

Denise

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, Buzzedsquirrel, and welcome! I hope we can help you with your queries.

There has recently been research in the UK that indicates that a gastric band (similar to a bypass, I think) reduces blood glucose in Type 2 diabetics, so there may be a link to your hypoglycaemia. I look forward to hearing more from you so that we can see if we can come up with any ideas to help.

It would be good to see your bg levels (we use millimols per litre [mmol/l] over here - I have a conversion table somewhere) and to hear what treatment your doctor has advised.

Keep smiling :D

Viv 8)

Viv,

Thanks for the reply and having the conversion information would be helpful. I did not have type 1 or 2 diabetes when I had the surgery and I had it in 2006 and wasn't diagnosed with Hypo until 2010 so I am a little miffed, so to speak!

I really hope I can find something here.

Thank you Again,
Denise

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi again, Denise

I've just discovered that there is a converter on this site, on a tab on the home page. Googling will find you a converter chart, or if you have a calculator handy, [BG (mmol/l) x 18] = G (mg/dl)]

So mg/dl divided by 18 should give you mmol/l.

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
It may also be useful to you to have what are considered to be "normal" (ie,non-diabetic) levels in the UK:

3.5 to 5.5 mmol/l (63 - 99 mg.dl) fasting and before meals;

less than 8mmol/l (144mg.dl) 2 hours after meals. We would expect post-meal levels to drop back to about the same as pre-meal, depending on the food eaten.

Viv 8)

Thank you Viv,

I am headed there to check that chart/conversion out now.

I am also going to say this to ANYONE that looks at this post. Having Bypass surgery is not all that it is cracked up to be. I can say that if it is because of your health, then really give it thought, research it, just give it a lot of consideration. I, myself, am very sorry that I did it.

Denise

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Denise. Welcome to the forum :) Here is the conversion tool that you need to understand our mmol/l and to be able to use them on this forum.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

I am very sorry that you are not happy with your gastric by-pass - this is a warning that it is not always the answer to all our problems.