Yikes!

Drummer mum

Hi there.
I'm a 52 year old newly diagnosed with T1. This is my third week of being on Insulin (Novomix 30) and I can honestly say I've never experienced so many emotions over such a short period of time! Disbelief, anger, shock, to name but a few. I started on two injections a day but am now down to one in a morning and a very small dose at that. I am very small framed (5ft 2 and 8st 3) so haven't much weight on me - I never have - so trying to keep my weight up and the two injections a day were too much I was constantly having to eat to stop going hypo, hence the reduction to once a day.

I have an appointment at the hospital on Wednesday at the diabetes clinic and to be honest I'm dreading it. I feel that once I've been to the hospital it will make things 'official' - I'm guessing until then part of me keeps thinking 'it's not real' :D

There is so much information to take in that my mind is whirling! No doubt everyone must go through this.

I love this site as there seem to be so many supportive messages and information

Hope to be in touch with many of you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum :)

There's is so much to take in in the first few weeks & months but all becomes clearer in time. Hope your appointment goes well on Wednesday, if you've got any questions you want answered then write them down and take them along to the clinic. Good luck!!!!

Reactions: 5 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Good luck for the hospital appointment. You may feel calmer once it is over. I have to go back to the nurse to have my bloods repeated and I am anxious and it is not until Wednesday so I can just imagine how you feel. The people on here are brilliant and very knowledgeable. :)

Reactions: 7 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a lot to take in at first but over time you start to figure it all out.

I would agree with noblehead above, write down any questions. It is amazing what you forget to ask when your in there if you don't write it down. I did this with one of my first appointments as I was so confused.

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Novo30 may not last 24hr, it might be best to ring the nurse to see is its best to divide your single dose and take twice a day again

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Novo30 may not last 24hr, it might be best to ring the nurse to see is its best to divide your single dose and take twice a day again

I'm sure the OP's diabetes care team will know what they are doing Jack. The insulin profile for Novomix 30 states the following:

The onset of action of NovoMix 30 occurs within 10-20 minutes of subcutaneous injection.
The maximum effect is exerted between 1 and 4 hours after injection (Figure 2). The duration
of action of NovoMix 30 is up to 24 hours.

http://www.novonordisk.com.au/media/PIs/NovoRapid_NovoMix_PI3a.pdf

Besides, the OP being newly diagnosed will be in the Diabetic Honeymoon Period so this will be why he is on a single low-dose of insulin, hence why they reduced it from twice daily to once to stop the hypo's.

Reactions: 7 people

Drummermum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you folks.

Noblehead, yes that's exactly why my dosage was reduced, I think I am in the 'honeymoon period' as I'm only taking 4 units in a morning and my levels are within reason - no doubt this will all change soon! :)

I'll wait and see what is said on Wednesday...

Onward and upward :)

Drummermum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm at the hospital on Wednesday so I'll see what the consultant says then:)

Drummermum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome aboard.
There's a lot to learn to be sure and having looked around and having talked to the experts I've come to the conclusion this is the best set of lunatics to learn from.
It's a mad world.
Thank you I think there is so much to learn from this site!

Drummermum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a lot to take in at first but over time you start to figure it all out.

I would agree with noblehead above, write down any questions. It is amazing what you forget to ask when your in there if you don't write it down. I did this with one of my first appointments as I was so confused.
I'm starting a list now lol :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Thank you I think there is so much to learn from this site!
To be honest everything I know about diabetes and diets etc comes from the people here and the links etc that they provide.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Perhaps I should have said effective duration "check with your nurse, novomix may not have an 'effective duration' of 24hrs, going by the charts."

Or perhaps say nothing at all Jack, with respect a diet controlled type 2 like yourself isn't the best person to advise on insulin or insulin doses.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or perhaps say nothing at all Jack, with respect a diet controlled type 2 like yourself isn't the best person to advise on insulin or insulin doses.
So suggesting someone talks to his nurse about his dose is a wrong thing to say.... Please
I'm quite happy to say that all day long

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So suggesting someone talks to his nurse about his dose is a wrong thing to say.... Please
I'm quite happy to say that all day long

The OP was previously on a two injections and they reduced this down to one, which he says has kept his bg within range, why would he want to split dose then?

As I say Jack I don't think advising on insulin dosing is your forte, better to stick with what you know and advise type 2's.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The OP was previously on a two injections and they reduced this down to one, which he says has kept his bg within range, why would he want to split dose then?

As I say Jack I don't think advising on insulin dosing is your forte, better to stick with what you know and advise type 2's.
Would you like to read the op post again ? I didn't see a reference to the BG being in range now

I'm done...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you folks.

Noblehead, yes that's exactly why my dosage was reduced, I think I am in the 'honeymoon period' as I'm only taking 4 units in a morning and my levels are within reason - no doubt this will all change soon! :)

I'll wait and see what is said on Wednesday...

Onward and upward :)

There you go Jack :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Th
Hi there.
I'm a 52 year old newly diagnosed with T1. This is my third week of being on Insulin (Novomix 30) and I can honestly say I've never experienced so many emotions over such a short period of time! Disbelief, anger, shock, to name but a few. I started on two injections a day but am now down to one in a morning and a very small dose at that. I am very small framed (5ft 2 and 8st 3) so haven't much weight on me - I never have - so trying to keep my weight up and the two injections a day were too much I was constantly having to eat to stop going hypo, hence the reduction to once a day.

I have an appointment at the hospital on Wednesday at the diabetes clinic and to be honest I'm dreading it. I feel that once I've been to the hospital it will make things 'official' - I'm guessing until then part of me keeps thinking 'it's not real' :D

There is so much information to take in that my mind is whirling! No doubt everyone must go through this.

I love this site as there seem to be so many supportive messages and information

Hope to be in touch with many of you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
there you go noble, this was the post I replied to

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Th

there you go noble, this was the post I replied to

But the OP says in his original post:

"I never have - so trying to keep my weight up and the two injections a day were too much I was constantly having to eat to stop going hypo, hence the reduction to once a day."

Why would they want to talk with the nurse about split dose, that could cause more problems than enough considering the OP is in their honeymoon period and holding good bg numbers.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi drummer mum!
Ignore the arguing guys :) let us know how your appt goes!

Good luck!