Yoghurt

Yvonne8

Hi everyone. I am not a particularly low-carber but I am trying to make small changes. Of course breakfast is a problem especially if during the week all you have time for is a bowl of cereal, but I have started to have a yoghurt with some berries when I am pushed for time. The thing is I've noticed there is a surprising amount of carbs in a teensy yoghurt so could anyone give me any tips on the best ones to get? Now unrelated-the other day I was going to buy some chocolate eclairs in Tesco but resisted the urge however out of curiosity I checked the blurb on the box and noticed that in one eclair there was less carbs 10g than there is in one slice of Burgen bread 12g and the calorie content was similar so in theory could I just live off chocolate eclairs? Obviously joking but REALLY !

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Reading labels is amazing isn't it and yes "low fat" yogurt tends to have astronomical amounts of sugar. I believe that one of the Muller ones doesn't, but it has something like Aspartame instead, which to me, tastes FOUL.
I buy LIDL's Greek style natural yogurt. It's made from whole milk and tastes delicious with berries or a scraping of dark chocolate or even a spoonful of honey or low sugar jam. I have some superb grape jelly, which I made from my own grapes and just occasionally I add a teaspoonful of that.
As to alternative breakfast. Scrambled eggs in the microwave take about 2 minutes.
Hana

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reading labels is essential but there isn't a lot of difference in carb content between a low fat Greek yoghurt and a 'full' fat one
(total Greek yoghurt full fat: 3.8g carb per 100g , total Greek Yoghurt 0%fat 4g carb per 100g). If you are concerned with calories then there are 39 less in the low fat one.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Make sure you buy yoghurt with live bio-cultures (which is most of it these days).

Dr Steve Phinney reckons that you can ignore most of the carbohydrate content in natrual yoghurt, as long as it contains live bio-cultures. The carbs listed on the label are the from the milk used to make the yoghurt and they are mostly digested by the bacteria:

as long as you use 'live culture yogurt' ignore the sugars listed on the nutrition facts label. This is the amount of lactose (milk sugar) that was used in the ingredient milk before the yogurt was made. In live culture yogurt, more than half of this is broken down into lactic acid during the fermentation process that makes yogurt. Unlike lactose, lactic acid is easily absorbed by the body without raising your insulin level.

I suppose, as ever, the only way to see if this is true, is to eat and test.

A

Anonymous

borofergie said:
Make sure you buy yoghurt with live bio-cultures (which is most of it these days).

Dr Steve Phinney reckons that you can ignore most of the carbohydrate content in natrual yoghurt, as long as it contains live bio-cultures. The carbs listed on the label are the from the milk used to make the yoghurt and they are mostly digested by the bacteria:

as long as you use 'live culture yogurt' ignore the sugars listed on the nutrition facts label. This is the amount of lactose (milk sugar) that was used in the ingredient milk before the yogurt was made. In live culture yogurt, more than half of this is broken down into lactic acid during the fermentation process that makes yogurt. Unlike lactose, lactic acid is easily absorbed by the body without raising your insulin level.

Oh look. You`ve posted a thousand times :clap:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I buy Irish yogurts Diet brand. I can't find any other fruit yogurt that has no added sugar. The carb content is quite low and it tastes good. Tescos and others stock it. Don't know I would go along with the bio-cultures bit, but each to their own.

Defren

I can't manage breakfast but have started having Greek yogurt with strawberry's, blueberry's and blackberry's for lunch. My portion size is only 6g of carbs, and it's really nice. Give it a try with some berry's.

Defren

Jeannemum said:
borofergie said:

Congrats on the 1000 post mark. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yvonne8

Thanks to all who took the time to reply - much appreciated, been diagnosed T2 for a year now and only just getting my serious head on!

goldfish_21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have soy yogurt, as it has less carbs, and I think it takes better than the ordinary ones. Has to be the plain one for me though as the vanilla or fruit ones have loads more carbs. Worth a try anyway.

Vicky

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You can buy some brillian and very intense flavouring essences which can go into plain yogurt. Lakeland sell them.
Hana

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Defren said:
Jeannemum said:

Congrats on the 1000 post mark. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank's ladies! I was hoping to do something meaningful for my 1000th post, but I forgot. I guess I'll have to wait until my 2000th post to say something important!