yogurt

david200110

Does anyone know of a brand of yogurt which is low fat and low sugar?
I can find plenty which say low fat but am unsure about low sugar. I'm new to all this and find the labels impossible to understand.

Thanks for any help.

david

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Only Low fat and low suger yogurt
I found are at M&S food hall

I’m OK
Its all the others
First HbA1c 11.9

Sukaren

I make my own with Easiyo, they do several unsweetened variaties! really easy to make and works out cheaper than being it in tubs.

LesleyB

Rowan Glen are low sugar I think, but there are only 2 flavours that I have seen, Rhubarb and Raspberry. They are lovely.

chocoholic

Tesco's Diet Irish Yoghurts are low fat and have artificial sweeteners.
I buy Little Rachel's yoghurts marketed for babies(just because they have a piccie of a baby on doesn't mean us diabetic adults can't eat 'em). They are sweetened with a little apple juice instead of sugar or sweeteners and come in 4 packs of assorted flavours.I don't think the Rachel's ones are low fat but if you don't over-indulge, a single pot can't be too bad for you.

david200110

I just received my membership pack for Diabetes UK and there was a leaflet inside for Mullerlight yogurt.
It says it is virtually fat free [ 96 calories per pot ] and "contains only moderate amounts of sugar [ mainly from the milk and fruit ].

Does anyone here know anything about Mullerlight being good for diabetics?

david

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
David,

You wouldn't be first person to have been mislead by DUK's dietary advice. There is no need to eat low-fat anything! Sarah's quite right that it's the carbohydrates that will harm you. And low-fat versions of foods always contain more carbohydrates.

Do yourself a favour and buy full fat stuff!

All the best,

fergusc

david200110

I'm still very new to all this having been diagnosed only 2 weeks ago. I find this food labelling completely baffling and I don't understand what I am supposed to be looking for anyway. Also, I'm 56, male, living alone so food has never been an important issue for me before.

It would help if you could provide brand names that I can find.

Thanks

david

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Hi david200110
I am 52 so you have a few years on me [:p]

The advice that I was given was to look at the label on the back/ side
The section that reads <font color="red">carbohydrates of which is sugars</font id="red">
should be under 5 per 100g ,,if not put it back.

Example i have a can of Heinz cream of chicken & mushroom Soup in my hand , label reads
<font color="red">carbohydrates of which is sugars 1.5g per 100g</font id="red">:D

The M&S yogurt reads <font color="red">carbohydrates of which is sugars 2.1g per 100g</font id="red">:D

Bob

I’m OK
Its all the others
First HbA1c 11.9

nannab

I also make my own yoghurt,sugar free and tastes great. EasiYo, very easy, just sit container in boiling water and hey presto!! Lots of different flavours, and the good thing for me is that it lasts up to two weeks in the refrigerator.

I found the carb. info from Bowell really useful too, being newly diagnosed I am still a bit lost on what to look for on packaging, so thank you for that.

NannaB

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Nannab and David,

You need to remember that it is <b>CARBOHYDRATE</b> that you must eat less of, <b>not sugar</b>. Sugar is simply one form of carbohydrate.

Let me give you an example:

Product A's label says
Carbohydrate 50g
of which sugar 2g

Product B's label says
Carbohydrate 25g
of which sugar 10g

Which is the one you need to avoid? The one with 2g sugar or 10g?
Its product A with the lower sugar content.

You need to understand what the label is telling you. The sugar in the item will convert immediately to glucose in your blood. The remaining carb that is not sugar will also convert to glucose but just more slowly.

This can't be said often enough

<b>It is not sugar or fat that you need to reduce - it is carbohydrate.</b>

Highmoor

I usually eat Muller Light, although you have to read the lable. My fridge is packed with peach ones, they seem to go great with me and dont affect my levels that much.

Some of the other fruit mullers are a little high so i miss them. I thoght I would sick of them, but when your limited to a diet, then any food tastes good. This may sound really stuoid, but since I have been on the diabetes diet , I appreciate my food a lot more for what it is.

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
I use Tesco's Total L<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">ight yoghurt. It's unflavoured, so I stew fruit (without sugar, naturally ) & drop that in. Delicious on Weetabix.

Whitemare

Easi Yo Slimmers Unsweetened Yogurt Base and Culture reads:- Carbohydrate total 7.4g, of which sugars 7.4g per 100 g, so reading information from Dennis re carbs. I hope this is ok to eat. Thanks. Any information is very gratefully received. Nanna B.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Whitemare,

Your yoghurt and stewed fruit combination sounds good (as long as the yoghurt is low carb, not just low sugar), but Weetabix is extremely high carbohydrate. Why spoil it by putting it on Weetabix, just eat it as it is.

Nannab, That sounds like a very good discovery. I haven't come across one as low in carbs as that.

Poppy

Thanks for that Dennis. I think this answers the question I was asking a few weeks ago, in a way I can understand. I wanted to know which was the more important to me, either the total carbs or the "of which sugars" and now I not only know but understand.

lufc

Ok so it seems what people are saying is what the hell, Go and eat something with a stupid amount of sugar and fat it but for gods sake don't eat it for the sake of carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!! This seriously makes no sense to me at all and it's actually doing my head in.