Yogurts. Bread.

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello again, T2 newby. Does anyone have any advice on the best yogurts and bread to use. I had a small tuna wrap, red pepper hummus, 4 wholewheat crackers, low fat yogurt and a small banana for my lunch. My blood sugar level after 2hrs was 8.5. Some of the readings I'm seeing on here are very low. Is that with or without medication

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The blood glucose raising foods in your lunch are the wrap, crackers, banana, and maybe the yog.

Personally i am fine with hummus and not yog, but others find it works differently.

All the foods listed will digest (at different speeds) to release glucose into the blood.

There are a huge number of foods that would have less impact.

Although i have to say that a rise to 8.5 is Much better than i would get after those foods.
Did you test at 2 hours after starting the meal?

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of us have plain Greek yogurt and a lot have Bergen Linseed and Soya bread or Lidl high protein rolls these seem better for BG levels.Yours are still just within the guidelines for 2 hours after a meal but most people aim for lower

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Avoid low-fat yogurts and go for plain or normal fat ones but with no added sugar. Bananas are not the best fruit for us due to the high level of carbs. Give preference to non-tropical fruits. You need to aim for bs reading of 8.5mmol or less 2 hours after a typical meal according to NICE guidlelines

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try and aim for full fat yogurt less sugar, fat free are sugar loaded, that goes for other fat free foods. Wholemeal wraps have an effect on my levels. Go for fruits ending with berry.

When checking for carbs in products, instead of just checking for sugars, check for whole carbohydrates, fewer the better and be aware of low GI foods, these still effect people.

Eat to meter to see which foods have the least or most effect on sugar levels. This is how people control their blood glucose.

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks you all for the advice. I had fish wrapped in parma ham and roasted peppers for dinner at 6,just got back form the gym and checked my blood and it was 6.2 I really want to be able to manage this without medication. Hopefully and thanks to you peeps I will achieve this. .

Reactions: 4 people

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
With being new to this malarkey I've been buying foods that have a green tab on the sugar content is that ok to do?

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The blood glucose raising foods in your lunch are the wrap, crackers, banana, and maybe the yog.

Personally i am fine with hummus and not yog, but others find it works differently.

All the foods listed will digest (at different speeds) to release glucose into the blood.

There are a huge number of foods that would have less impact.

Although i have to say that a rise to 8.5 is Much better than i would get after those foods.
Did you test at 2 hours after starting the meal?
Yes, I try to get as close to two hours as possible and never more than 10 minutes either side. I could do with a list of the huge number of alternative foods lol.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldnt bother to look at the sugar content at all.

Just look at the Carb content (all carbs turn to sugar in the body, so it makes very little difference whether it is sugar, mashed potato or wholegrain bread). This may contradict what your doc or nurse has told you (did you get the 'eat plenty of wholegrains' mantra?).

But it is easy enough to test for yourself.
Eat a low carb meal - meat fish, eggs, cheese, veg, salad, and test bg 2 hrs later.

Then eat a meal with carbs, wholegrain, jacket potato, porridge, brown rice, etc. and test 2 hrs later.

The effect on the blood glucose between the 2 meals is VERY clear!

Reactions: 4 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re looking for sugar content on packaging:

Helpful, but it doesn't tell the whole story: as already said, carbohydrates are also villains of the piece because they turn into glucose in your body and up your blood/sugar levels. You're doing the right thing in checking your levels. To start with, do it before you eat and then 2 hours afterwards and you will build up a picture of the things that affect your levels adversely. Bear in mind, however, that tests of this nature are jus snap shots at a particular moment in time and that the regular hba1c tests that you will get, give a much better picture of where your levels are heading, overall.

Has anybody ever told you that you look like Marty Feldman? :D :D

(Edit: beaten to it by Brunneria :))

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Brunneria, yes, I've only seen my diabetes nurse the once, after I'd had a fasting blood test. She basically said don't eat white stuff go for the brown instead. She said I'd probably have to have medication and tablets for my cholesterol, 4.5. I'm so glad I joined this forum I'm feeling so much better about it all now.

Reactions: 3 people

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The brown stuff effect levels. I improved my blood test by low carbing and full fats. Improved my cholesterol. I upped my oily fish, prawns ect as well.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
She said I'd probably have to have medication and tablets for my cholesterol, 4.5.
If 4.5 cholesterol was the trigger for meds the whole world would be on statins. My last cholesterol reading overall was 5.2 and at that point I stopped taking them. There's a lot of discussion on here about the fact that the overall cholesterol figure is pretty meaningless without the composite breakdown.
Bread: there are recipes on here for alternatives such as almond flour/flax/cheese bread which turns out like a brick but tastes good. It's solid because your average commercial loaf is full of air. We crave something that's actually air, sugar, salt and yeast with added hydrogenated fat (spread) when what we actually need is substance.
That's how I convince myself anyway ;)
Well done so far!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You will have to find out what foods suit you because we are all different in what we can or cannot eat What one person can't eat another will be able to so it is trial and error but you seem to be on the right track so far so well done

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also fairly new to this, and am reading the carb content on every packet of everything, and have made a list which is stuck up on the door of one of the kitchen cupboards, so I keep learning and reminding myself. There have been surprises in it for me - which vegetables and fruit are lower, which are higher, etc.

For starters, I just cut out all the grain / cereal foods completely. It was a bit of a challenge, but has really helped me plan meals with a different priority. I'm slowly learning that food is about my nutrition and not just a pleasurable activity!

Reactions: 6 people

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys. The protein bread from lidle is really nice. I had that, home made bolognese without the pasta and salad had quite a lot too. It's not something I'd normally put together but it was ok. Anyway, just checked my bs and it was 6.1 to say I'm really, really pleased with that is an understatement.

Reactions: 8 people