You guys held me up x thank you

S

Sharon Anne

Not gonna get all soppy but when I came on here a couple of weeks ago I was scared of my own shadow . Having other conditions I was born with and then diabeteic whilst having anxiety to boot just seemed like I was drowning. Within five minutes of me posting I had people saying hey you will be fine .

I am still a little all over the place and sometimes I panic when it feels like I am going backwards, but I have been taking bloods every two hrs and they are between 6 and 7.4 so I think I am doing okay and I am feeling a little more like me .
I have decided to speak to the nurse about her urine strips they just stress me out and I agree with others on here and another site that as helped me get through the last few weeks they are pointless . So if she wants them she can have them . Lol

I have stopped worrying about everything I put in my mouth and whilst I still can't taste anything I just get on with it .

I am out with the girls again tonight and I am looking forward to a glass of wine and good company, may even have two lol when I was diagnosed I said I would never have a drink I really didn't think you could have one if you were diabetic that's how much I knew.

thank you all for making me feel so welcome xx

Reactions: 12 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
A drink or two will lower your BS, personally I cant just have one or two. I have to have 3/4. But I don't drink often these days.
Had to edit to say well done so far.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great progress Sharon, enjoy your evening out :)

Reactions: 2 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
You're always welcome here, Sharon. Glad you've found the help and support you need, that's what we're here for. Sounds like you've come a long way since you first joined, so a big well done to you :)

S

Sharon Anne

Do you guys really think I can afford to just let my hir down tonight, one prt of me says your doing so well chick then I see those friggin urine strips and I think oh god !!

I am taking my BG every two hrs after meals and I am seeing a pattern of 5.6.7 normally end the day on a 7.4 and that's after my evening meal .
I thought this was pretty good now I m thinking I should go back to before meals and then one hour after .
I thought it best to follow the advice on here about getting started and testing "

Okay why am I concerned the only thing bringing me down is these friggin urine tests nurse wants them everyday and they just don't change from 1.1 now she says that means I suger is running over into kidney but the leaflet with it says 1.1 is normal ? My simple dilemma is maybe the reading I am seeing are not enough to see my numbers really coming down but I can't afford to reall increase and I was chuffed with the results I was seeing as I thought that showed my numbers must be coming down ?
Tonight is about me letting my self pat me on the back so please you got me this far any thoughts are welcome
Short and curly of this is with the two hr results I am seeing are they a waste of time if my urine says different or should I chuck the strips so many people have told me they are useless

S

Sharon Anne

You're always welcome here, Sharon. Glad you've found the help and support you need, that's what we're here for. Sounds like you've come a long way since you first joined, so a big well done to you :)

S

Sharon Anne

thank you I am just hoping my celebration tonight is not all in vain.
I have decided and it sis working that the advice on here with the fasting and then two hr testing works for me , I am seeing pretty good results but then I think oh my god I am missing the befores and the peaks and panic ..? But I then think hold on your two hr ones are fine calm down.
I know what's doing it it is these stupid urine strips my nurse swears by and they just say the same everyday and then I think well if the strips are saying I have suger in my urine I am not doing so well. The nurse lives by these strips and I just want to throw them away Hun .

I would have thought that my two hr readings show my BG are coming down but she says not that the strips say much more,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. Ask her what the strips are measuring i.e. Ketones or Blood sugar or both. No one uses urine strips these days to measure Blood Sugar. Sugar appears in the urine when it goes above about 11 mmol but your glucose meter is the right thing to measure blood sugar not urine strips. As for ketones your DN seems to be obessed by them. Unless you are very low-carbing and have blood sugar in the 20s then you are unlikely to suffer dangerous DKA (Ketoacidosis). People who have very low carbs will have ketones as result of burning fat but that's OK and normal. I suspect your DN doesn't understand the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. How you tactfully explain this to her I leave to you! Have a good night out

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ya live n learn don't ya. I thought urine strips sailed off in the arc, I didn't think they were that sensitive, hence blood strips, even the keto forums don't swear by them. How old is your nurse - lol. Maybe she's using up an old batch.
Seriously go enjoy your evening.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Not gonna get all soppy but when I came on here a couple of weeks ago I was scared of my own shadow . Having other conditions I was born with and then diabeteic whilst having anxiety to boot just seemed like I was drowning. Within five minutes of me posting I had people saying hey you will be fine .

I am still a little all over the place and sometimes I panic when it feels like I am going backwards, but I have been taking bloods every two hrs and they are between 6 and 7.4 so I think I am doing okay and I am feeling a little more like me .
I have decided to speak to the nurse about her urine strips they just stress me out and I agree with others on here and another site that as helped me get through the last few weeks they are pointless . So if she wants them she can have them . Lol

I have stopped worrying about everything I put in my mouth and whilst I still can't taste anything I just get on with it .

I am out with the girls again tonight and I am looking forward to a glass of wine and good company, may even have two lol when I was diagnosed I said I would never have a drink I really didn't think you could have one if you were diabetic that's how much I knew.

thank you all for making me feel so welcome xx

That's the spirit Sharon Anne, your doing really well. Have a lovely safe evening out and enjoy your self :D

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l am confused to what do the strips say on the container? l would burn them stick to glucose finger pricks

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you spike a little, don't worry about it, just start again tomorrow and work at bringing them down. The main thing is that on average your body is enjoying the lower sugar levels. One spike won't be an issue. Now if you go mad every night!!! So enjoy yourself, but be controlled.

S

Sharon Anne

Ya live n learn don't ya. I thought urine strips sailed off in the arc, I didn't think they were that sensitive, hence blood strips, even the keto forums don't swear by them. How old is your nurse - lol. Maybe she's using up an old batch.
Seriously go enjoy your evening.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Well done Sharon Anne, you have made great progress in taking a deep breath and realising that you can do this. I think that part of the problem of diagnosis with almost any condition is ignorance. We are diagnosed, told to go home and do the very minimal but we aren't told why which causes panic. In all honesty, it shouldn't take this kind of place to give us the emotional support and the knowledge we need to get on with our lives but that's the reality and really, I wouldn't have met such great people if I had had all I needed from the doc. Our lives do take odd paths sometimes don't they? :D

Dump the strips love. You know **** well they don't help and it seems it's really the only thing left that stresses you but I suppose, like @Daibell says, ask what they are testing first :rolleyes:

Go out and have fun. There's nothing like a good laugh to boost our spirits, get those endorphin's flowing but just don't overdo the alcohol ok? You will probably find you don't need it....the company and the laughs will be enough :happy: