daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I think Type 2s can also see themselves in many of these posts :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Debloubed said:
ebony321 said:
...finish in record gold medal time...

:lol:

The fact that you know what record gold medal time is has made my laugh!! Used to take me 30 mins, now takes me approx 3mins if I prep the 'tools' before hand ;-) But still I plug myself back into the pump and sure enough, 2 mins later it bleeps at me to remind me to switch it back on ;-)

HAHA!

Well gold medal time for me maybe :wink:

I like to think in future ill be as quick as those kids who do 'cup stacking' if you've ever seen it? :lol:

I walk around with headphones alot and my kid sister has nudged me once ''your pump is beeping at you, sort it out!'' haha.

RebeccaSmith

you know you're a type 1 diabetic wheneveryday you wish as though you could go back to that day before you were diagnosed, to that day when you could eat whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted; when you didn't have to think twice about nipping out; when you didn't need to worry about going to the doctors or the hospital regularly; when people didn't ask what you were doing when you stick that needle in yourself; when you didn't have people assuming that because you stick 4 needles in yourself everyday, that you just become used to it (you can NEVER get used to sticking needles in yourself when that memory of a better day still persists); when you didn't have to apply for special forms just to drive; when you didn't have to learn how to carb count; when you could go for a bike ride in the sunshine without worrying what your bloods are doing; when you didn't have a care in the world and you felt as though you could conquer anything and that diabetes was not conquering you - when you felt as though you had control of your life, and not some disgusting disease controlling you.

I am clearly bitter about all this. I miss pre-diabetes life. All I can say is that I am lucky to have lived 16 years without it - 16 years of content, carefree life. And sometimes, just sometimes, I can see how being a diabetic has it's upshots too. I just hope that people with diet influenced diabetes are able to stop themselves falling to the point of insulin dependant - food may be good, exercise may be a pain, but trust me, insulin dependance is not fun for you and it's not fun on the people around you..

joelcam

Hi Rebecca,

I actually started this thread with a view to making people laugh and see the funny side of being a diabetic. I read your post and can see you that you took a slightly different angle but it's all good - nice to get things off your chest!

You mentioned a lot of things but one thing that you said that stuck in my head was that you used to feel like you could conquer anything and don't anymore. The way I feel is quite the opposite, I feel more like I can conquer anything now! Being a T1 is a real challenge (but not as challenging as what some people go through) but the fact I can kick it's @ss everyday makes me feel like I can do anything. Appreciate things become more challenging but the only limitations are either ones you create yourself (as in I can't do that anymore because I'd probably have a hypo etc) or ones that are good limitations (such as I can't eat 3 donuts in a row washed down with a litre of coke).

Sorry to hear you feel as bad as you do about it and I guess you are looking at T1 from a different perspective. I may have hated it had I been your age at diagnosis rather than 31.

Hope things work out for you.

JC

Froobes

When you lunge straight into a speech about why you are allowed to eat this blueberry muffin as you're having a hypo, feeling very self-righteous and smug all the while at proving your partner wrong.

When you can feel yourself giving your partner the glare your mother gave you as a child for misbeahving when he tells you you must have done too much insulin for that meal, it sounded like too many clicks.

When even at 21 and due to be married your mum still can't help but text you several times a day just to make sure your bloods are okay.

When your sister is a nurse and sends you a photo of a foot infected with gangrene JUST to remind you how vigilant you have to be.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Froobes said:
When your sister is a nurse and sends you a photo of a foot infected with gangrene JUST to remind you how vigilant you have to be.

well you never know, you might just forget ;-) HAHA! that is so like my Mum who says things like 'well you know you have to be careful' - really Mum? you think?! she always giggles when she says (out of habit at meal times) 'have you done your insulin?' and I say 'nah, thought I'd give it a miss today, see how that works out for me ;-)'

Froobes

Ha ha you're exactly the same as me! I know they're concerned and I appreciate it but the menace in me can't help but wind them up sometimes :lol:

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You know when you're a T1 on DAFNE when Practice Nurse Clueless insists you 'must' do something like always eating same carbs/same time/same dose and you say "some days I do, some days I don't" just to see the reaction! Being vague about how many times a day you inject is fun too!

zoeee

rebecca - i could've written that! i feel exactly the same way about it, as much as i try to look on the "bright side", i find it very difficult to and everyone else seems to handle it a lot better than i do. i hope it gets easier for you x

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
You know you're T1 when you brush your teeth, get into bed and realise you haven't tested.
You test, are in the low 4s,you have to eat something , clean your teeth and start again.
Ugh too many times!!

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You know you're T1 when it takes you longer to get ready to go out than your missus as you're sorting out your man-bag ! Grrr

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You know you're T1 when it takes you longer to get ready to go out than your missus as you're sorting out your man-bag ! Grrr

:D...........how true..........:(

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You know you are Type 1 when every journey out of the house is like going on an expedition: tester - check, bolus - check, basal - check, needles - check, testing strips - check, lancets - check - on and on and on.

You also know you're Type 1 when instead of a dainty clutch bag you have a flippin' suitcase for an evening out!!!

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know you are Type 1 when every journey out of the house is like going on an expedition: tester - check, bolus - check, basal - check, needles - check, testing strips - check, lancets - check - on and on and on.

You also know you're Type 1 when instead of a dainty clutch bag you have a flippin' suitcase for an evening out!!!

Smidge

That was my justification for getting my other half to buy me a mulberry last year

"I can't go on a night out with my small bags now. I need a pretty big one for all my kit"

And when that failed

"I've got diabetes now, you have to be nice to me" (he lost interest in this excuse very quickly haha)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That was my justification for getting my other half to buy me a mulberry last year

"I can't go on a night out with my small bags now. I need a pretty big one for all my kit"

And when that failed

"I've got diabetes now, you have to be nice to me" (he lost interest in this excuse very quickly haha)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I've used "you can't be horrible to me, I'm disabled now"