You need to be on Metformin

lindisfel

Expert
Hi all,
I went to an endo clinic two days ago about an adrenal problem and it was stressed I should be on metformin!!

My HbA1c is diet controlled at 45 (for two years) and I have recently cut carbs further to help my R.H.

Why should I take Metformin as they insist? Will it help RH?
Derek

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well, you shouldn't unless they can justify it helping with whatever issues they think your having......

do they want you on it in connection with the adrenal problem.....?

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,
I went to an endo clinic two days ago about an adrenal problem and it was stressed I should be on metformin!!

My HbA1c is diet controlled at 45 (for two years) and I have recently cut carbs further to help my R.H.

Why should I take Metformin as they insist? Will it help RH?
Derek

My endocrinologist insisted that I don't take metformin for my RH, as food is really the only thing that can control your bloods.
If you have read my blogs and read the (long) thread on RH, I myself had kidney function concerns. Since being on a very low carb diet, this has reversed to normal.
Did your endocrinologist say what his concerns where and what would the metformin hope to achieve?. Because once your levels have normalized, the need for metformin goes away.
Did he give any advice for your RH?

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
There is just a possibility I shall need keyhole surgery to remove an aldosterone producing adenoma on an adrenal gland.
If it goes ahead it is probably six months away. I have also got afib.
regards
D.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took Metformin for a while and it didn't seem to do anything but upset my taste buds. My dose was reduced until it didn't even do that and so I was taken off it altogether and it was recorded as ineffective.

I have asked DN why I was put on it in the first place and there are some benefits down the line apparently. When I ask if someone can tell me which benefits it all goes quiet.

I have no clear idea what that entire episode was all about.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What is RH? Metformin only really helps if you are overweight. There is some data that says it helps protect the heart etc which is why my DN wanted me to continue it. You need to ask the endo or whoever why they want to prescribe Metformin.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi. What is RH? Metformin only really helps if you are overweight. There is some data that says it helps protect the heart etc which is why my DN wanted me to continue it. You need to ask the endo or whoever why they want to prescribe Metformin.

Reactive Hypoglycaemia.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi, my BMI is 24 so I am not what you call overweight.
I believe I have diabetes due to the aldosterone
damaging my insulin response.
Conn's syndrome damages many body systems and unknowingly I have had it over 30 years.
D.

Last edited by a moderator: