Young diabetics 15-20

DannyBygrave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a 17 lad from England and have been diabetic for a few years now, personally I have only met one other diabetic my age who I don't really speak much too, I would like to talk to some people my age about general lifestyle and stuff really :)

Reactions: 4 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I was your age once a long ago, and like you I knew no diabetics.

I went off the rails for a number of years and now reget it all, when we are young we think we are imortal some time and push and push the limits but this is not a way forward. I hope we can help or that someone more your age may come along and step in

Reactions: 2 people

DannyBygrave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Gaz, yes I have found myself doing this, not really to 'fit in' as such more as that's how I am as a person I like my food! But I am realising how much it will impact my later life and am getting on track now, I have got my Hba1c down from 146 to the 70's now so that is a huge improvement

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
good lad :), the meds now are far more advanced than when I was diagnosed in the early 70,s

Have a chat with your DSN if you can, I eat what i want still to this day (well most foods) I spike yes but this is normally expected after eating so long as the spike isnt to high (thats what I have been told)

Chin up lad, there is alot we all could have and hope you stay ok

DannyBygrave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh god yes I can imagine mate! I respect that alot actually as I couldn't really imagine using big syringes, and yeah I have what I can eat and what to try and stay away from really I know what you mean about the spiking aswell I get that alot at college as I'm sat around alot, thanks very much mate you have made my day :) you too!

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey @DannyBygrave im 20 and from scotland.. im roughly in the same boat as you with regards to hba1c ive came from around 126 and now sitting around low 90s.. (would be lower but ive been ill recently) :) would love tgo chat if youre up for it

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
hope all is good with you in the future :)

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a long time! How are you finding it?x
i'm finding it ok i guess, during my early teens (11-16) i really didn't care about my diabetes at all and developed an eating disorder which i think was caused by the stress of diabetes, but now i'm doing much better and have my diabetes under better control!
how about you? :)

DannyBygrave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm finding it ok i guess, during my early teens (11-16) i really didn't care about my diabetes at all and developed an eating disorder which i think was caused by the stress of diabetes, but now i'm doing much better and have my diabetes under better control!
how about you? :)
Oh really... Well atleast it's under control now! I had a similar issue for about a year and a half I didn't test once and hardly gave insulin but got sick of feeling so ill all of the time so am now on top of it a lot more, it's still hard but it's okay, I'm new to this forum and it is really nice to talk to people in the same boat who have had the same issues as myself for the first time ever! Haha x

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was instinctively going to post when unseen 'young diabetics', I keep forgetting 23 is older than I think :dead:

DannyBygrave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No mate it's not! Haha shouldn't have put 15-20 really! You're a 'young diabetic' don't worry man ;)

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh really... Well atleast it's under control now! I had a similar issue for about a year and a half I didn't test once and hardly gave insulin but got sick of feeling so ill all of the time so am now on top of it a lot more, it's still hard but it's okay, I'm new to this forum and it is really nice to talk to people in the same boat who have had the same issues as myself for the first time ever! Haha x
yeah definitely! i don't know any T1s at all in 'real life'! i think though, having blood sugars 'under control' can be misleading, as they can never be fully under control, but the least we can do is try! are you in college? x

DannyBygrave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I know same here and definately, it can change in minutes if you eat the wrong thing haha! And yes I am are you? Don't let it get you down ana, you can't let it control your life!x

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 18 and I was diagnosed 10 months ago. I come from Bosnia and i don't know any other diabetics around me, and places like this really help a lot. At the beginning my control was awful and my sugars were high most of the time, but recently things are going better because i started to count carbs and my hba1c improved. Always open for chat...