Young Type One Newbie

Moparp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!!
My name is Mesha. I'm 20 years old and I'm completely new here.
I was admitted to hospital Friday 26th June after an ambulance was called when I was feeling very unwell at home. Wasn't feeling to hot for a number of weeks but this particular evening was horrendous. Was diagnosed there and then with very serious ketoacidosis and type one diabetes. My mum was told my blood was the consistency of vinegar, yuck! I spent until Saturday afternoon in intensive care and was kept a very close eye on before being taken to a short stay ward where I recovered. I was free to go home in the afternoon on Tuesday 30th June.
I only know one guy I studied with who is type 2 diabetic and someone I work with has a son that is type one diabetic. None of my family or close friends are diabetic so we literally had no idea about the condition at all. Was quite a shock at first! Lucky I'm a quick learner eh? haha. Everyone has been so so so helpful (except the surgery, but that's a whole different story). But as I'm new I thought I would put myself out there and say hello, and if anyone wants to share anything feel free. I am all ears:) Would appreciate any advice, tips, random facts. There is always something new to learn.
Thank you for your time <3

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Welcome to the forum,I'm new too but receiving lots of help...wishing you well...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello!!
I was admitted to hospital Friday 26th June after an ambulance was called when I was feeling very unwell at home. Wasn't feeling to hot for a number of weeks but this particular evening was horrendous. Was diagnosed there and then with very serious ketoacidosis and type one diabetes. My mum was told my blood was the consistency of vinegar, yuck! I spent until Saturday afternoon in intensive care and was kept a very close eye on before being taken to a short stay ward where I recovered. I was free to go home in the afternoon on Tuesday 30th June.
I only know one guy I studied with who is type 2 diabetic and someone I work with has a son that is type one diabetic. None of my family or close friends are diabetic so we literally had no idea about the condition at all. Was quite a shock at first! Lucky I'm a quick learner eh? haha. Everyone has been so so so helpful (except the surgery, but that's a whole different story). But as I'm new I thought I would put myself out there and say hello, and if anyone wants to share anything feel free. I am all ears:) Would appreciate any advice, tips, random facts. There is always something new to learn.

Hi Mesha, thanks for dropping in.

Extremely friendly bunch on here always glad to help. If you find you need any questions answered, there's usually someone around that can help.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, DKA must come as a shock and good to hear you've come thru it. If you have any questions about the use of insulin, diet or anything about diabetes do ask.

Moparp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankya so much. That's good to hear because there might be many! Haha. Pretty confident at the moment. It's still all a learning curve and obviously will be for a good while. Haha just a bit, the funny thing was I only realised how serious it was after I was discharged. My mother was going on like I nearly died and I thought she was over reacting! Ah what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger :)

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thankya so much. That's good to hear because there might be many! Haha. Pretty confident at the moment. It's still all a learning curve and obviously will be for a good while. Haha just a bit, the funny thing was I only realised how serious it was after I was discharged. My mother was going on like I nearly died and I thought she was over reacting! Ah what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger :)

I like your approach, but be prepared for the fact that it may test your resolve over the coming months.

Reactions: 4 people

Moparp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I am prepared. I'm just not to worried about it I guess. I'm worried enough that I will stick to whatever works to make my health the best it can possibly be but i'm not scared of it. There's no point in being worried, it isn't going to get me anywhere. My cousin who was like my sister (we are only a little family) passed away from leukaemia Nov last year which was also out of the blue. She was 18, would have been 19 now. I'm just thankful that I'm still here. I'm very determined and regimented when it comes to things so as something as important as this, I'm sure I'll be able to keep tabs on it, to the best of my ability anyway. Just gotta take it in my stride, one step at a time. It's early days and it is going to test my patience like it does with everyone but I'm a tough cookie:)

Reactions: 4 people

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!!

Hey Mesha, I've had type one for quite a while now and if you ever want to talk I'm always here :)

Wish you all the best xx

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome aboard @Moparp and really like your attitude about it all. You will have bad days with it but don't we all? Trial and error and perseverance are probably some of the words to describe it all - trial and error with injection times, what foods you can and cannot eat and how your body reacts to exercise to name a few. Perseverance - not letting it rule your life and as you say taking it one step at a time :):headphone:

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. There is loads of useful information and support on the site and if you have any questions just ask

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Theres lots of friendly helpful people here so don't be afraid to ask questions.