I was diagnosed type 2 @ 51... Also Overweight and almost no physical activity
I was told it probably started as 41.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at 60 though I'd previously been diagnosed as prediabetic twice. All diagnoses happened after I quit smoking and gained up to 20kgs each time. The other 2 times, I eventually went back to the ciggies, lost the weight and the prediabetes went away. None of the GPs who made the prediabetic calls ever really said anything much about it except to lose weight. I kick myself for not doing more research at the time. I think being Vitamin D deficient this last time had a lot to do with pushing me over the edge into full diagnosis. This time losing the weight hasn't made it go away :(

I've gained a lot of control over my post prandial spikes and A1c by following a LCHF diet, but no matter what I do my fasting BG is pretty much the same as it was when I was diagnosed and is gradually getting higher.

I can't take metformin because even at low dosage it gave me bleeding gastritis and low ferritin within 6 months of starting it. So back to diet/exercise only and getting very nervous about what happens next if my fasting BG continues to rise.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Diagnosed at age 45 - by the ASCOT clinical research team.

Type 2 diabetes
Metformin 500mg td
Cholesterol and blood pressure on target with medication.
Also living with Parkinson's Disease.
Happily helping to moderate this great forum.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
43 years young! Age is all in the mind! My diabetes has forced me to take control of my rubbish diet and I am now about a stone and a bit off my pre children weight! Can't lose it quick enough. Been far too fat for far to long. My hubbie is back to same weight as he was in early 20s but I have 3 stone 10lbs to go and counting. We worked out that my youngest weighs 3 stone 10lbs and that's the weight difference between my husband and me. Sobering thought so this is my inspiration!

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
61 years old, pre diabetic for about 2 years but didn't do anything about it. Diagnosed T2 February this year, on Metformin 1000mg per day. Like Indy said above I could also kick myself for not doing more research earlier. When my levels were borderline my Doctor didn't make a big thing of it he just said cut down on refined sugar - helpful lol.

I was about a stone overweight which I have now lost with the help of all you guys - Thanks

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I was 55 and I am now 63,

Hameedah

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Boredom
Hi, am new here I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos) since I was 16 and I have Type 2 diabetes and I weigh 103kg am 23 years old now , lossing weight has been my problem , it kills me emotionally , am 23 bt I look 35 coz of my weight. Am scared . I need help . Thanks

poorleen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being incapacitated
I was diagnosed type 2 age 67. This was only 2 months ago January 2014 I am presently on metaformin 500mg 2 X daily

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
....48 with diabetes type 2, now fifteen years on....metformin SR 500 twice a day...