Your Everyday gear... What do you take with you when you go to work/school/out?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For brief outings, I take my blood meter plus plenty of strips, a bolus pen and Dextrose tablets with possibly a snack too, depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.

For overnights, I take pump spares with all of that - so a number of spare sets, and possibly a battery if that's close to running out.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is that bolus or is it basal @noblehead?:)

Basal Grant, in my case lantus.

If it is in fact basal you intended to type, do you carry a bolus pen everywhere by default too?

Absolutely, if there was an occlusion and the Pod failed then you have some bolus to go on with.

I carry a insulin vial in my pump case should I need to change a pod away from home, but also carry some small syringes in the case (they are called mylife Daily Dose) which you can use to draw-up insulin from the vial, these little syringes were given to me when I first started on a pump back in Feb 2015, handy little things and don't take up too much space :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basal Grant, in my case lantus.

Absolutely, if there was an occlusion and the Pod failed then you have some bolus to go on with.

I carry a insulin vial in my pump case should I need to change a pod away from home, but also carry some small syringes in the case (they are called mylife Daily Dose) which you can use to draw-up insulin from the vial, these little syringes were given to me when I first started on a pump back in Feb 2015, handy little things and don't take up too much space :)
Thanks for the info! It does seem that pump therapy increases the overall "bulk" that needs to be carried around on a day to day basis. And that's not to mention the tech stuck to your hip 24/7 either.

Saying that, carrying a few extra bits and bobs is something I'd take any day over MDI complexity with DP, illness, etc...

It's always interesting to hear what other diabetics carry about with them. It's a little bit like show and tell at school, but just a lot more interesting for some reason:)

Reactions: noblehead

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I carry pretty much everything with me when I go out -- spare pod , PDM , insulin vial , spare lancets , ketone meter and strips, spare BG meter and strips , basal and bolus pens ( and spare needles )
always have glucose dotted about everywhere I go as well -- car , jacket pockets , wife's handbag :)

I took on board from my DSN that the tolerances for BG's are so tightened with being on a pump -- as we don't have a basal back up in place -- so always better to be safe ............

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Type 1 on MDI - insulin, meter, phone, jelly beans, wallet, glasses and keys. Also wear a medi dog tag.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Does anyone that uses CGM not take their meter with them? I've become confident enough in both Dexcom and Medtronic CGM that I don't feel the need to carry the meter most of the time.

iHs

Sometimes I more or less trust Dexcom to be more or less within 0.7mmol difference to a bg test but I usually confirm this to be so by doing a bg test about 2hrs beforehand. At the moment sensor in my tummy is tending to be 1.0mmol higher than a bg test during the night when asleep but once up and eating and drinking, the sensor starts to be a bit more in line with a bg test. This is with a G5 transmitter but the G4 is the same too.

When going out, my D kit is a Lilly Luxera 0.5u pen with an empty Apidra cartridge regularly filled with a disposable 0.3ml syringe injecting about 25u Novorapid from a vial into the cartridge every month so if things appear to go wrong with the pump, I can just keep myself ok using my pen and then sort the pump out when I get home. For everyday use I take out my Expert meter because the bolus wizard is easier to see in sunlight whereas the Vibe pump is dire plus a plastic sandwich bag with a few jellybabies and also a tube of Glucogel in case I've forgotten the JBs. I also carry 2 small bags of Hula hoops just in case. Most times when dealing with low bg levels, I eat a JB and get myself something to eat as its nice at times to just enjoy eating something without injecting insulin for every mouthful.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On school days I bring my Iphone as I'm also a user of the G5, a small travelling case with a pen, the Freestyle Lite with accessories in case things go south with the G5 (bloodsugar spikes up and down, sensor falls of ect.), Dextrose, and some juice in a bottle I mix at home. ^.^

Whenever I go visit family or friends I skip the bottle of juice, since they have things at home that I can take instead
Always take precautions ^.^