Your help please, have i got a faulty meter

majnoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did something a bit silly today (not unusual) for a snack I had a crusty bread roll with a sausage and a piece of bacon, tested myself two hours later, it read 10.1, then tested myself 1 and half hours later and its 5.2, so I tested again and it read 5.2, so I'm asking is the meter faulty or are these readings good, your thoughts appreciated ( as usual ) , that's if you don't mind replying to someone who is completely bonkers, but I do take my Type 2 very seriously :eek::sour::confused:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @majnoon ,

If you suspect that your meter is playing up then get a test solution (usually free) from the manufacturer and you can check the performance of the meter.

I am not sure (at this point) how long you've been diabetic or what your readings normally are but you'd need to repeat the exercise to be sure. If you are still producing some insulin then it's possible that your body produced enough over the 3-1/2hr period to deal with the glucose. But you are simply not producing enough insulin to deal with the spike after eating.

I assume that you know by now that results can be affected by many things such as cleanliness of hands and even the type of soap you use.

Reactions: majnoon

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not much to go on with just 3 readings. In my experience meters either read aucurately or do nothing at all or display a error message.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds about right to me .. before I went into remission I would have this kinda numbers after eating bread ..

M

ME_Valentijn

I tend to get a midday nose dive of 5 points or more in a 2 hour period. Not sure if it happens faster than that, since I don't test every hour. My meter is very consistent.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Majnoon i don't think anyone will think your bonkers about keeping good control of your diabetes I think it's very wise as do I with my type 1 sometimes my sugar gos up when I eat certain foods then when I test a couple of hours later it's gone back to normal for me if you think it could be the meter can you do a meter test? let us know.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your meter isn't faulty!!. A crusty roll will send anyone high. The trick is to come back down again, and you did! Perhaps you need to eliminate crusty rolls though - that double figure spike wasn't good. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are about the numbers I'd get - the first time - but repeating the experiment could mean going high and staying high for hours. If you've been eating low carb and have reduced your insulin resistance, your bread roll was converted into glycogen easily enough. Your reserves might now be full again. We can't tell.
If you are really missing bread, try one of the Lidl protein rolls - they don't cause my BG to shoot up - they cause barely a blip, and although they are entirely and completely unlike a crusty white roll, they are good in their own right.