Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Mine started 42 year ago, I was brought up by 1 parent from the age of 6

My dad used to give me lucozade or sugar and water for breakfast and as a result I ended up in hospital at the age of 6 with a swollen liver from the sugar intake, This happened again at the age of 9, and both times was not a good memory to have.

At the age of around 11 I started having a dream that I would be dead by the time I was 25, so like all kids that age I rebelled badly. Drink, drugs, gas,glue anything I could get my hands on and not forgetting sweets that I had never had as I always ate fruit.
This all changed when I turned 28 and suffered a really bad hypo at work which as a result I ended up on BP tablets, the same year I had another massive episode and was told that I had suffered a stroke by the paramedic, but once in hospital I was told half my brain was starved of carbohydrates and gave the effect of the stoke. ( To this day I still say it was a stoke)

Anyway from that day I started looking after myself but had started drinking quite heavy as I started cooking in a pub, then in 2002 I broke up with my partner which half killed me. Not because we split but because I had to leave my 2 kids who where 3 and 1 at the time.
Then the bad stuff happened, I started drinking alot heavier (20 cans plus beers at work a night) in 2004 I started suffering pains in my right hip and had 3 x-rays and 5 physio sessions, none of these helped and ended up on tramadol and diclofenic. All the x-rays showed as clear but was then told I needed a scan on the hips.
The scan showed that the right ball joint on my hip was in the middle of collapsing and the left hip was starting to collapse (at the time I was like FML)

In January 2005 I had a fibular bone graft to the left hip to stop it collpsing like the right one had done, which is the most painful thing I have ever encountered, and after getting an infection and loosing a large portion of my hip muscle I had the right hip replaced in the August of the same year.

NOW the consultant says it was done to exessive drinking but after a night in A+E suffering from low blood sodium another consultant says it had nothing to do with drinkg alcohol, so I asked could it have been the pigs insulin I had been injecting into my legs from such an early age, his reply was probably but you will never be able to claim against the makers .....

there will be more to come on my life

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'll bet you enjoyed posting that just as much as I did reading it .... get those things off your chest and it's out there.

Well done Mike

Reactions: 2 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Such a sad but compelling story so glad your still around Gaz

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wow...thats a learning life when reading that.

Gaz, to be honest, I wouldn't worry what caused hip problems. Solely because you could never be 100% sure. Who knows it could have been anything within the cocktail of mixtures that has been through your body. You may just have had a genetic marker in your body?

You're never going to be able to say for sure.

I was a dreadful eater until around 8 years old apparently... Could that have been the contributory factor to my T1? Who the heck knows to be honest... But I know living is short and I Can't change anything....nobody will research my body when dead and they won't have known my living habits to assess their research if they did.

Whatever is done is done, glad you are still here Gaz...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Reading your trumatic and heartfelt post brings all the memories of my ex partner, not diabetic, but alcohol was a big part of his life, bigger than I thought throughout the up and down relationship. He died in 2011 when our daughter was just 11years old, it broke her heart and I will never forget the day I was told he died, in hospital, and a shadow of the man I first met, it was absolutely devastating to my daughter, she was crying and screaming. Alcohol, It can be a killer.

RRB

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I asked could it have been the pigs insulin I had been injecting into my legs from such an early age, his reply was probably but you will never be able to claim against the makers .....
My uncle is 80 and been on pig insulin for 49 years and is fit and healthy as are many people using pig insulin.
I've been using bovine insulin for 50 years with no damage.
So bottom line is it could be anything in your previous life style or just plain genetics.
I doubt the consultant you saw has even seen or heard of pig insulin. Many have no idea about it and don't want to know either :rolleyes:

Then again if you are using analogues now they could have caused it........ Which is just as daft as saying the pork caused it :D
Bottom line is you unfortunately have a problem and have to deal with it, you can't look back and say if only I had done.....

Ps there's a lovely lady on another forum who suffered from low sodium it was caused by the BP med she was on. It's been changed, so check through your meds and see if any of them can cause any of your problems.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
" No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending "

All the best for a positive outcome for you

Take care RRB

Reactions: 8 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Thankyou for sharing your story:)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
anyway 2005 was a long year lol, no weight to be put on the left leg for 6 weeks but ended up being 10 weeks, then my thyroid start to play up.

I was diagnosed with an over active thyroid in erm 2009 I think, and was put on tablets to try regulate it but this went on till 2010 (and can I hell remember the name of the buggers) but anyway this all came to a stop in 2013 when I had to take a radio active iodine tablet to try and curb the actions.

Thyroid totally died lol so now I am on 100mg of levothyroxine a day but alls good, just a stone and a half below my normal weight before this happened

Good or bad I don't know, I,m 5' 2" tall and weigh 9 stone, normal weight was 10.5 stone, but I loo healthy hahaha

@carbs yes, the lisinopril I am on was increase by 2.5mg a day which may have caused the problem with my sodium levels. This was mentioned 3 weeks back at my last appointment when the consultant asked me if I would double my lisinopril and I told him what happened before, so he has suggested my Dr monitors my BP as it has been high the past 5 visits. So maybe a new BP medication is the best option