your on your own

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
shouldn't doctors automatically ,give you a tester ,i just assumed if I stay low carb on sweetners your ok, have a few sweets like 6 grams ,a roll is 11 grams,bread and wosits 9 grams,im only 10 stone ,I have to eat so I don't go to 9 or 8 stone ,because I was on 15 carbs a day I lost loads so now I eat to keep my weight at 10 stone,any way don't really understand carbs and sugar or sugar in carbs or carbs plus sugar,

Ok the simple answer is simply all carbs break down in their simple form E.g. sugar breaks down into glucose and fructose. When reading a nutritional label look at the total carb content, not the Of which sugars part.

As for whether or not Drs give out meters, not so much now. For some strange reason the powers that be have decided that we type 2's shouldn't be testing unless we're on either insulin or tablets that such as gliclizide. If your oldie only or metformin and diet they won't provide strips or meter. You may get on when on the education course such as expert, and then you'll struggle to get the strips on prescription so most type 2s self fund both.

sweetyfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i brought a meter yesterday codefree its coming tomorrow,so if my portions are ok ,do I need to test next month ,cause I more or less eat the same food from week to week ,can I see it as a learning curb for my future diet,is that why I don't go clinic because im not on tablets,i had 2 eye appointments what I threw in the bin,firstly I know what there going to say,2nd if I correct my diet I correct my eyesight,third everyone I know once they get glasses don't wear them again ,nowadays lazer surgery in ,glasses are horrid,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i brought a meter yesterday codefree its coming tomorrow,so if my portions are ok ,do I need to test next month ,cause I more or less eat the same food from week to week ,can I see it as a learning curb for my future diet,is that why I don't go clinic because im not on tablets,i had 2 eye appointments what I threw in the bin,firstly I know what there going to say,2nd if I correct my diet I correct my eyesight,third everyone I know once they get glasses don't wear them again ,nowadays lazer surgery in ,glasses are horrid,

Were these eye appointments for a retinal screening test or just a basic eye test for new glasses?
If for retinal eye screening then why on earth didn't you attend? They are ultra important for diabetics who don't want to go blind.

You can test as much and for as long as you want. However, for the best results it is wise to test until your blood sugars have normalised and you have a well controlled HbA1c. You may decide not to test every meal, but you need to test new foods or new combinations of food, and to test at other times to keep an eye on how you are doing in general. Keeping a food diary will help in the learning curve.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree with @bluetit.

Also, those eye screening tests are precious things - next time, if you don't want to attend, then it would be a good thing if you could ring them up and cancel the appointment, so that they can give it to someone else.

Apparently a lot of NHS money is wasted by waiting for patients who don't go to their appointments, while other people who are desperate to find out if they have retinopathy, are waiting in the queue for months.

sweetyfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
test day one porridge =4 sweetner sugar test after 80 min 6.7 any questions or couldn't it be lower,lunch in a hour will update
lunch
1 egg
1 roll
tin of salmon,fried with red pepper onion
bosh tassimo twinng tea
evaporated milk,2 sweener sugar,
no sugar orange tango
2 hours after 6.8
dinner @7 wholegrain rice quarter plate, quater plate of chicken, half plate of veg, tango,8 squares chocolate,7.6
would the 6 really have an effect on my body

Last edited by a moderator:

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a glasses/contact lens wearer I would argue that ALL your eye test appointments are important. Without my glasses/lenses I would not be able to legally drive, let alone watch TV or anything else. The retiniopathy appointment to screen the back of your eyes is even more important because of the damage that retinopathy does. Please do not play with your eyesight, its too precious. Rather have a test that shows you're clear than just rely on what you perceive improves when your diet changes.

sweetyfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a glasses/contact lens wearer I would argue that ALL your eye test appointments are important. Without my glasses/lenses I would not be able to legally drive, let alone watch TV or anything else. The retiniopathy appointment to screen the back of your eyes is even more important because of the damage that retinopathy does. Please do not play with your eyesight, its too precious. Rather have a test that shows you're clear than just rely on what you perceive improves when your diet changes.
oh I don't wear glasses at all,i noticed without test I have to look hard,when reading website on my tv,from8 foot away but my eyesight was ultra good,i now think I'm longsighted but its nothing to be alarmed at,thats how I knew I had diabetes,aok I'm phoning my doctor to let another get my appointment its not bad ,if it gets worse I will go

Dark Horse

Although maintaining good glucose control reduces the risk of diabetic retinopathy, it does not eliminate that risk. Unfortunately, even people who test regularly can develop sight-threatening
oh I don't wear glasses at all,i noticed without test I have to look hard,when reading website on my tv,from8 foot away but my eyesight was ultra good,i now think I'm longsighted but its nothing to be alarmed at,thats how I knew I had diabetes,aok I'm phoning my doctor to let another get my appointment its not bad ,if it gets worse I will go
If someone has sight-threatening retinopathy, the most effective time to treat it is BEFORE any symptoms occur. That's why we have screening. If people wait until they have symptoms, the treatment is less effective and any loss of vision may not be reversible.

Diabetic retinopathy should not be confused with the temporary blurring of vision that people sometimes get when they are first diagnosed. This is due to high glucose levels changing the way the lens focuses light and as the glucose levels reduce, the eyesight returns to normal over a few weeks. This does not indicate that there is no diabetic retinopathy - only a screening test or examination by an ophthalmologist can determine this.

sweetyfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although maintaining good glucose control reduces the risk of diabetic retinopathy, it does not eliminate that risk. Unfortunately, even people who test regularly can develop sight-threatening

If someone has sight-threatening retinopathy, the most effective time to treat it is BEFORE any symptoms occur. That's why we have screening. If people wait until they have symptoms, the treatment is less effective and any loss of vision may not be reversible.

Diabetic retinopathy should not be confused with the temporary blurring of vision that people sometimes get when they are first diagnosed. This is due to high glucose levels changing the way the lens focuses light and as the glucose levels reduce, the eyesight returns to normal over a few weeks. This does not indicate that there is no diabetic retinopathy - only a screening test or examination by an ophthalmologist can determine this.
ok I'm going to go,i will go then ,I'm scared now,i didn't think it was important

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
basically on march 2016,my doctor told me YOU ARE DIABETIC nothing more ,no tester, no meds so I choose to change my diet,
with help from youtube, eBay, amazon brought cinnamon for my porridge ,apple cider vineger for my lunch/dinner ,diabetic portion plate ,wholegrain tilde rice. cavalier chocolate bar ,3 a week, coke life ,but only 200ml 3 times a week, brought 200ml glass from ebay ,before I brought diabetic food its disgusting ,had to bin the lot no\sugar orange tango/stevia sweetened, rio light no sugar,amzons for diabetics ,total sweet and evapoated milk for tea,i guess im ok no hypos ,I just eat finger biscuit 6 ,whole meal rolls breakfast tuna or salmon 1 egg everyday ,might have different fish,
I read on someones post cut out porridge with milk,when I do I stay awake , much I need to eat 35 grams of carbs or I get too
energy, but I juggle my day to fit 40 carbs ,the most
basically I eat as before just portioned ,without nuff fizzy drink,i added toal sweet,still eat wotsits,9 chips fizzy water mainly vimto,no pastry or pasta,am I doing ok or what cause I have only you that knows more
You can't control your blood sugar w/o a glucometer.

sweetyfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
first reading before food,6.7 basically the same
my doctor just phoned ,my blood came normal no more testing
the man on youtube said it can be reversed,cinamon,apple cider vinger

I got bitter melon tabs from amazon ant cut potatoes sugar,white
rice,from march 53 to normal by may 27 but I'm sticking to my new diet

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people