Yuck feeling

fujitsu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on Metaformin for 8 days, like many other post now feeling worse since, being told i have Diabetes with the stomach iproblems 1 x 500 a day,
and feeling very down about it all, so glad found this Forum though.

Reactions: 4 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Keep going. Many of us have had the same problems. Try to take your tablets just after eating - that's supposed to help with the effects. It does get better with time. Keep going if you can.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Always have metformin with food. Side effects usually settle but if they don't, ask for slow release metformin and if you get side effects from that, wait to see if they settle before giving up. The alternative drugs aren't that great, if you can avoid them it is best to.

Scubamup

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How's it going now? Any improvement?. I think mine's easing a bit. I'm on day 6 @ 2 x 500mg.

Spc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm new here I've been on metformin for 2 weeks now . 500mg twice a day.but I feel so unwell is this normal

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi I'm new here I've been on metformin for 2 weeks now . 500mg twice a day.but I feel so unwell is this normal
Hello,Spc,yes it's quiet common to feel like we have flu like symptoms as we start on metformin,do you take your tabs just as you eat? Many here find that the best form of metformin is met' sr ( slow release) as its kinder to the stomach, another tip: try eating a tbspn of olive oil before your meal. Clive

Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eating fish , only eat Cod!
I feel your pain, only got diagnosed 3 weeks ago. I've had Cramps and diarrhoea (sorry) with them, now on my third week and it seems to be have eased off but I am on 3x 500mg tablets a day with food. Do find I have become more thirsty and now I wake up at least 3 or 4 times in the night either needing to pee or because my lips have stuck together as my mouth is dry.
Just giving them time as I guess my body has got a huge adjustment to make and so the medication will take time.

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
When I got diagnosed as epileptic & started taking my meds, they made me SO ill I was throwing up virtually all day, so my doctor prescribed anti sickness pills for a few weeks, just until my body got used to them.

Idk anything really about taking metformin, but is it a similar thing in that the side effects will lessen as your body learns to tolerate it? If so I'd say ask your doc for the sickness pills, helped me a treat!

steveninag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I was prescribed normal metformin 2x500mg and always felt sluggish and bloated. This went on for quite a while. I saw my GP and he has put me onto Metformin 2x500mg Controlled release and what a difference it has made to my wellbeing. Like night and day. Happy chappy now...Good luck.

Chris Thailand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took me around 10 months, and I had a jolly good whinge on here about how **** I felt, but in these last couple of months I can tolerate the metformin with no ill effects whatsoever. I have to pay for my medication and didn't want to quadruple my costs for the slow release version so persevered. It worked for me.

Reactions: 2 people