Zero Noodles?

B

badcat

Not tried this brand but have used a couple of other brands of Konjac noodles / pasta and find them a very useful addition. They are used a lot in Japan and the Japanese swear by the health benefits of Konjac ( its a root with lots of insoluble fibre which is why the noodles / pasta are so low carb)
The thing you need to make sure of is that you rinse them really well, otherwise you get a horrible taste from the calium hydroxide (acidity regulator) liquid they come in I just tip them into a sieve and hold them under a running tap for a couple of mins and that rinses it all off. Most of them smell funny when you open the packet - again its the calcium hydroxide

Paul577

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not tried this brand but have used a couple of other brands of Konjac noodles / pasta and find them a very useful addition. They are used a lot in Japan and the Japanese swear by the health benefits of Konjac ( its a root with lots of insoluble fibre which is why the noodles / pasta are so low carb)
The thing you need to make sure of is that you rinse them really well, otherwise you get a horrible taste from the calium hydroxide (acidity regulator) liquid they come in I just tip them into a sieve and hold them under a running tap for a couple of mins and that rinses it all off. Most of them smell funny when you open the packet - again its the calcium hydroxide

I believe that many of the manufacturers are working to eliminate that very " in your face" bad smell ...some have already launched a 'no odour ' range, including rice, lasagne, noodles, spaghetti and angel hair. But, as you say, even with the older smelly varieties it is just a matter of a thorough rinse and the smell goes away.
I use these all the time, mostly for an evening meal ( using about 100g of whatever type, mixing them with some streamed vegetables and a bit of sauce/seasoning, topped with some protein like fish, usually with some grated/shredded cheese).
Dishes can become a bit watery/sloppy using this product but this can be avoided by dry frying , after the rinse,for a few minutes before adding the other parts of the meal.
The noodles etc take on the flavours of the other ingredients, in a similar way to pasta and rice.
BTW, it is possible to make your own ( glucomannan powder, water, lime water/calcium hydroxide) using a plastic pasta press ( some useful recipes on YouTube, although I've not done it myself).
I really like these noodles, although anyone contemplating using them would be well advised to start with a modest serving ( maybe 70 g) to avoid any digestive alarm. Build up from there.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've tried Slim Noodles in stir-fries - I rinse them really well and snip them short with scissors, otherwise they're VERY difficult to eat! I quite like them. I do them with veg and prawns and loads of ginger, chilli and coriander.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Not tried this particular brand, but I love Slim Noodles and Bare Naked Noodles.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Any other brands you recommend? In Budapest I could find in any market three brands of dry noodles that were super low in carbs (like 30% instead of the usual 70%) and with a lot of protein and soluble fibre...

Paul577

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any other brands you recommend? In Budapest I could find in any market three brands of dry noodles that were super low in carbs (like 30% instead of the usual 70%) and with a lot of protein and soluble fibre...

One place to look would be the Japanese grocery store. Expat Japanese eat the noodles regardless of the carb level, it's a traditional food for some. In transliterated Japanese: Konnyaku ( or Shirataki). A google search should give images of the packets/brands.
Also, they are cheaper than the western versions ( we pay a premium to have "low carb" on the pack).

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried Slim Noodles in stir-fries - I rinse them really well and snip them short with scissors, otherwise they're VERY difficult to eat! I quite like them. I do them with veg and prawns and loads of ginger, chilli and coriander.
Snipping is an excellent idea.

Reactions: Snapsy