zicron Gliclazide 40mg

theonlysbf

Morning all
Following my annual HBA1C, I was swopped onto Gliclazide 40mg one a day from Sitagliptin 100mg, I was told this was in line with NICE guidelines and not on a cost basis, I have to be honest I have seriously struggled with Sitagliptin, Thrush, poor BG control and worst of all weight gain.
Other than a few upset stomach issues it has been a simple change, but the biggest change has been BG, I admit it does go pretty low sometimes I have had a few 3.9's quickly recovered. but my average has been in the low 5's.
So whats the problem you ask, well does this last or do I build up resistence to the drug needing more and more, chemist stated that she reguallrly presrcibes 320mg doses.
Any comments
PS currently dont have a DN to disscuss as she has broken her elbow.

B

badcat

I've been on glic for nearly 20 years. The dose was increased by 50% after about 10 years as control got harder and then the consultant wanted to ad sitagliptin into the mix - I decided against that course of action and went onto v low carb/ high good fats diet instead - I'm now back to a lower dose of glic than I was first put on all those years ago. On that basis I would certainly not say it is inevitable that you end up taking higher and higher doses

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on 40mg Gliclazide. I can't get the 40mg tablets prescribed, so my main pain with it is cutting the tablets in half. Along with low carbing this is enough to keep my levels where I want them.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Denise,
Is the prob that doctor can't write 40mg :lol: ( Usually you can "force" the system to prescribe "anything") or can pharmacist not dispense it. (When I was on them Boots couldn't but ASDA had no probs.)Didn't mind halving a 40mg but quartering a 80mg was too inaccurate.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As time goes by your pancreas will produce less insulin and the Glic won't give you the very low figures you currently get; at least the figures indicate your pancreas is pretty good (I was on 320mg Glic with no effect)

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I am on glicazide 40mgs put on it in april 13 & all ok no problems at moment as well as sr metformin.

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Hi

Ive been on Gliclazide 80mg for a while i have no highs and no lows in fact no change whatsoever

Stillo

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I am on Gliclazide 320mg a day, if I watch my carbs then I fluctuate between 5 and 9mmol but it took a while for them to work, if I miss a meal I have had a few readings in the 3's, and if I over carb (200 a day seems to work) then I will go into double figures very quickly.

Last night I forgot to take my evening dose of 160mg, this morning my fasting BG was 8,1, it has been around the 6 figure.

I often wonder if I could reduce my carb intake whether I could reduce my medication but I think its a fine line to be honest.