Zombie mum is back

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On Wednesday I enjoyed a magical day upon the santa express with Ellie. As expected all the excitement sent her numbers flying up, we corrected as we went and didn't let it stop us from having the best time ever

Thursday saw another day of high numbers and I presumed she was still recovering from the day before

Friday came and we had numbers in range when she got up............ that was the last time I saw a normal number . We corrected every 2 hours all day and most of the night.

Yesterday it was just plain silly, she was up in the 17s all day! She is showing no signs of illness, no keytones, nothing! She was also going to a friends birthday meal yesterday and I needed to trust her to get her carbs right. The big soppy eyes she gave me left me no choice but to let her go. She did me proud and got her carbs spot on and she was a 14 when she returned. I was silly to think that things were starting to improve cos by bed time she was back up to 19, queue the 2 hour checks and corrections through the night again, we even hit a 21.8 at 2am

She's up again this morning feeling as fit as a fiddle but numbers still stuck in the 13s .

Excitement is really not Ellie's friend at the minute and definitely not mine! We also have nerves added into the mix today as tomorrow we start the omnipod

Shattered is not the word today

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @Ellie's mum - asking the most obvious question first, have you changed her insulin ?

If she's fit as a fiddle could she be taking on extra carbs without your knowledge ?

Tagging @himtoo as he uses the Omnipod ;)

Reactions: Freema

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Insulin was changed on Friday so I know it's not that. Definitely no extras either as that was my first thought so I've been watching her very closely

Reactions: Robinredbreast

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thanks @Juicyj for the tag.

Hi @Ellie's mum
it is tough when an exact cause for highs can't be determined -- I know I get frustrated when it happens to me......

just thinking about Ellie starting omnipod -- will you have access to the DSN on a very regular basis when Ellie starts.
the first few weeks are certainly a time of adjustments to pump settings to get everything tweaked to suit Ellie. ?

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Her nurses are fab, and have been very supportive along the way. We will have both of them with us tomorrow even tho one started her xmas leave on Friday and the other has already told us she will be on standby 24/7 if we need anything.

I just wonder if it's nerves about tomorrow that's making her so high?

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
nerves ( or stress) are often a culprit.

Reactions: Ellie's mum

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Good luck tomorrow, think of it as an early Christmas present, it will be the most incredible gift she can have ;)

Reactions: Ellie's mum

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I was excited about Christmas (a long time ago) glucose level would drop like a stone and spent 3 out of 4 Christmases in hospital due to hypos, doctors at the time (late 60s) said I was probably producing my own insulin due to the excitement of Christmas, hope she's better soon.