1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

6 years of low carb and T2 reversal and still going strong….

Published by caroline_92 in the blog caroline_92's blog. Views: 576

6 years ago I switched to a low carb way of eating, losing 2 stone and ‘reversing’ my type 2 diabetes. I thought people might be interested in my story, as inspiration for those newly diagnosed or when the going gets tough.

My mother was diabetic, my grandmother was diabetic, my brother is diabetic and I had gestational diabetes when pregnant which involved taking insulin. It seemed inevitable I too would become diabetic. 6 years ago in my 40s, I finally faced up to my creeping weight gain, tiredness and niggling health issues to get checked out and was not surprised to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

My mother had a major heart attack in her mid 50s, through undiagnosed diabetes. She was lucky to survive and I did not want the same thing to happen to me. I wanted to be around to see my kids grow up. I started reading up on the science and adopted the low carbohydrate diet, contrary to conventional medical advice, as I believed this was the best way to control my condition.

Within 6 months I had lost 15kg, got my BMI down from an overweight 28 to a normal 22 and reduced my HbA1c, from 7.9%/63 down to a normal 5.5%/37. As diabetes is diagnosed at anything over 6.4%/47, I was told by my GP that I was no longer officially diabetic. Hurrah!

6 years later this is still the case, demonstrating that the low carb approach is a sustainable way of eating and living. Not just a ‘diet’ for a short period of time after which the weight goes back on. Without this way of eating I would still be over-weight and no doubt on a raft of diabetic medication by now…

Over the years I have read many, many books and articles on diabetes and diet, and have become truly evangelical about the low carb way of eating - boring my family and anyone who will listen about the perils of the conventional modern diet for those with a diabetic pre-disposition or tendency. I have a genetics degree and worked in the pharmaceutical industry for a couple of years after graduating, so I understand science. This has helped me work through the conflicting, confusing and inaccurate advice out there, to identify the changes I needed to make to my lifestyle for my long term health.

I have a long-standing bet with my GP that diabetes does not have to be degenerative. So far I am winning!
  • Dadio
  • caroline_92
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook