1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A day at the Diabetes U.K. Tech Conference

Published by Gary61 in the blog Gary61's blog. Views: 400

I've just had a really good day at the Diabetes U.K. Tech Conference which was held in Swansea University. There were several speakers presenting, from Senior Consultants to a few Type 1 individuals.
I learnt that for a much safer chance of developing complications, a diabetic must stay in the range of 4 - 10 for a minimum of 70%. The risks of complications such as retinopathy increase dramatically if this control is not maintained.
It was also lovely to talk to Type 1 diabetics from around the U.K. It's remarkable what you can pick up from just having a simple chat with each other. I also couldn't believe how many apps there are out there. There's even one for monitoring where you have tested on your fingers so that you get an even spread lol.
One thing I was really pleased about is that my 670g was proclaimed as the most advanced pump on the market. It saddened me however, to talk to some diabetics who were unable to obtain this pump due to the funding in their area. I believe that any Type 1 should be able to access anything that helps them in obtaining a better life. I felt very fortunate indeed.
If anyone has a chance to go to this type of conference in the future, I would encourage you to go, as it is well worth it.
NitinHP likes this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook