1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A meditation on "count your blessings"...

Published by MarkE in the blog MarkE's blog. Views: 405

An interesting week or so, and one which has set me thinking on that much-misused phrase, "count your blessings". I've been hearing versions of it all my life, and the interesting observation I find myself musing on is that the phrase is almost always used by those in positions of authority- the rich, the powerful, the healthy, pick your own epithet.

"There are plenty of others working here with health issues, and you wouldn't know it from talking to them" was the phrase which set me thinking this time. The tail end of the annual appraisal- whatever they might call it where you work!- it only struck me after just what was being implied (my Aspie nature being what it is, I rarely read between the lines in real time): that I should simply shut up and soldier on. An interesting thing to say to anyone, let alone a chap who has worked (though I say it myself) **** well all year, no time off, no days in late, not one day when the work and more was not completed, not even one instance when I did not do all that was asked of me and more- and the only time I point out my health issues is in the review when it SHOULD be spoken about!

Interesting, hey? I do wonder what was being justified: the rating given of simply adequate as opposed to exceeds expectations, the constant preference of the threat of stick over the promise of carrot, or simply being in charge and in health by mere luck?

Yes, I'm having a bit of a moan- but hey, no-one has to read a word of this- and probably few ever will!
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook