1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A New Year A Must Change Year

Published by Samh3891 in the blog Samh3891's blog. Views: 421

Im rather new to this so for anyone who reads sorry it's long winded or a bit everywhere.

Im 25 and have had diabetes type 1 now for 20 years. For the majority of the time I have had diabetes I wouldn't say have been the model diabetic however always have had very good control. But the last 12 to 18 months havent been disastrous but could have been better. I feel i have lost a lot of motivation and self control over this time and am not very good at talking to people or expressing myself about it maybe because I'm ashamed or too proud. But as I say the last 12-18 months have seen a big change. From moving from a job where there was a lot of physical activity (working in a supermarket) where i was constantly on my feet loading unloading lorries, shelves etc i have gone to a job where i am a salesman where i don't tend move around a lot not a lot of physical activity with the job but i find the biggest trouble is now working in centre of town where there are food outlets absolutely everywhere and its a nightmare i don't seem to have any self control. From this I have gained a fair bit of weight. I wouldn't say I'm huge but where i used to be well built due to gym and work etc I've now turned chubbier. Around July time i got a cellulitis infection from a insect bite on my leg but i feel if there was better control i may have been able to combat this better.. I feel on here with the advice on forums etc i can be more open. My wife is superb always looks after me when I'm low always by my side for support i don't need to do this just for me but for her too i want many more years happily and healthily together. So yeah theres my story, don't want to be the cliche person who says new year new start etc but i need to change
  • foxy
  • callyandy
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook