1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A week off the rails in Italy

Published by KennyA in the blog KennyA's blog. Views: 153

Finally had the Italian holiday we paid for three years ago. However, being Italy, there was a question to be answered about how (and whether) to handle my current keto-level carb intake. I thought I might be able to handle a more relaxed low-ish carb level that would be a compromise. I had 150g/day in mind. This involved allowing myself some pasta, beer (2/3 per day) and a very small amount of bread while continuing to avoid pizza, chips/potatoes, pastry, and puddings, as they do my BG the most damage. There was also a marked rise in my alcohol intake over the week, particularly grappa. In the end I permitted myself one gelato. I didn't struggle to find plenty of choice on menus.

The other factor was that we spent hours every day walking - I think the least was four hours and the most eight. That alone would normally keep my readings in the 4s without any trouble.

The results were interesting. There was very little impact on my pre- and post- meal readings. I didn't have a single reading out of range all week, although several +2hr results were the top end of the 6s - to be expected given those followed spaghetti and beer. My morning readings rose immediately (a week later they're returning to the level I expect) so it looks like the last thing to come down is the first thing to go back up.

Went back to 20g/day once we got home. A week further on and everything has settled back the way it was. So I guess this is do-able (for me, currently) for a week, but I'm not sure if I could stretch it to two weeks. I'm not recommending this for anyone else, just reporting my experiences.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook