1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anything Libre Sensor

Published by Debandez in the blog Debandez's blog. Views: 307

I have for a while thought of creating a little blog on my experience with my good friend, my libre. Today is the day.

COST

I love my libre. I have to buy the sensors as I'm a type 2, no meds. Cost £48 (I tick the 'I'm a diabetic' box to avoid the VAT) every 14 days but other than this I'm cheap to run. ;-) (hubbys words). I don't mind finger pricking to keep an eye on blood sugars but I prefer to scan.

I invested in a reader to start with (it came in a starter pack with 2 sensors and cost £150) but prefer to use the libre sensor app on my samsung mobile phone. You can use both should you wish but you have to start sensor off with reader first.

PROBLEMS WITH SENSORS

I've had 3 sensors that I've had issues with. I've phoned up, given them a few actual readings compared to the libre readings to prove the discrepancies and they have sent me another within a couple of days. No problems.

ACCURACY

Accuracy wise I find them quite good between 5 and 7 which is where I am most of the time. Lower, then not quite so accurate.

To avoid any issues i attach sensor no less than 24 hours before I'm due to activate it so it beds in. It still usually reads a little low for the first couple of days but I can resort to finger pricks where I feel necessary.

WHAT INFO DO I GET - DAILY GRAPHS

So I will start by uploading a few of the graphs that might be of interest then move onto different functions over the next few posts.

HIGH CARB, LOW CARB, STRESS, ILLNESS AND LATE NIGHT EATING EFFECTS ON FBS

1) 2 slices of wholemeal bread toasted with butter @9.30am. @11.15 I had a banana. This was an experiment following the current t2d official guidelines. I was going to experiment for a week until I saw the effect of just one morning! The advice is to eat 5 fruit/veg a day as well as lots of starchy carbs like pasta, rice, potatoes, bread and cereal.

2) kippers for breakfast

3) stress - doing an interview (all day on and off) NOTHING TO EAT ALL DAY AND NOTHING TO DRINK i ate at @9pm in a local restaurant. Beef stroganoff with vegetables

4) illness - I was incredibly poorly from 26th November last year. Covid-19 symptoms including fever, cough, shortness of breath, etc. It came in waves. 7th December was the 2nd time I thought i was getting better. But I went downhill again on the 8th. Nausea with a knot in my tummy all day. No food apart from trying a few mushrooms in a creamy sauce. My blood sugars would normally be steady at around 5 (much of the time in the green)

5) just last night. I had a low carb day as usual. Cheese and ham omelette for breaky, 2 pieces of 85% choccy at @3pm, chicken for dinner in tinned tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, chili served with cauli rice. 1 glass of wine. I don't usually eat after dinner but I was warm so had ice-cream with a deliciously guilt free piece of lemon drizzle cake and double cream at 11.30. I'm a night owl. ;-)

6) shows the rise and fall after the late night carbs. Without the double cream it may have gone higher and fallen lower. But my fbs today was 5 at 8.44am. Its currently at 5.9 at 10am. A little dawn phenomena. Not eaten yet. Still in bed!

Attached Files:

You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook