1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Away days down sarf (south)

Published by Lamont D in the blog Lamont D's blog. Views: 531

Well, continuing the theme of previous blogs, this was my first opportunity to have an overnight stay because the distance between the two clubs playing, so instead of the usual day trip on match days, this was an overnight stay in a hotel all paid for by the club.
I have already posted a thread on my stay and the food issues, but if you haven't read them I will repeat it here.
But first, the Friday afternoon trek down the motorways, namely M6, M25!
I just don't know why they built these roads as all they do is crawl at ten miles an hour if your lucky, why do they have speed limits! You get over forty, you are really traveling! We seen, five bumps, two blow outs and queues e everywhere, there are so many roadworks, but no one is working on them! They must all finish early on a Friday.
The only place we saw a work crew, was on the M6 toll road fitting a new sign! But of the nearly 300 miles we travelled, half of it was roadworks. How can the country cope, with that, I just don't know!
Of course with all that we didn't get to our destination till 7pm. Almost seven hours, which works out at thirty miles an hour to get here, we park in the full car park, we book in, dump our stuff and make our way to the restaurant.
Of course by that time all the cooking and prep has been done. So I look at the set self serve buffet. And there is a great choice, unfortunately all of the food on display, I couldn't touch any of it, even the salads had dressings!
So I seen a sign, that stated, that if you had an allergy, you could speak to the head chef.
I requested a talk and a few minutes later, he appeared. He came over and introduced himself. His name was Tony and he was definitely interested and intrigued at my weirdness and said that he had had many different forms of allergies come to the hotel but had never heard of mine or as extreme as mine..
He suggested pan fried gammon and eggs cooked in virgin olive oil.
They duly arrived with the most succulent pieces of meat, it was gorgeous!
After eating, I asked for the chef again to thank him and I heaped a lot of praise on him.
He asked if I was breakfasting, and I was, and waiting for me in the morning was bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, and black pudding. Fabulous!
I was very concerned about asking for special services and now I know as Keith Lemon says, if you don't ask, you don't get! It has given my confidence a tremendous boost.
Of course you can't have everything, as the hotel itself was only three stars and lacked the modern amenities you would expect in this century, it was clean but needed a makeover!
We checked out, and drove to the ground and started getting ready for the game. The ground is set in wonderful surrounding and at last a reasonably warm spring day.
We got a credible draw and everybody seemed happy. So after packing everything in the van, we set off, back to the best place to rest my head, my bed in my house!
It took just over five hours to get back, two hours less than on the way down and no one working on the road works!
A pleasing trip and I'm getting used to going to the away games again.
I was totally made up with my preparation for my food on the road. And had no health issues.

I'm loving the experience and hopefully it will continue!
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook