1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Becoming the new Me!

Published by coby in the blog coby's blog. Views: 162

Within a week of my diagnosis and having read all the paraphernalia presented to me by my health-care practise, I changed my diet.
Hmmm ... well I cut out all the little chocolate bar snacks that accompanied almost every meal at least.
After all, it was sugar that had done this to me right?
I went for a 40 minute walk every night, whatever the weather too, as I thought I just needed to lose the extra weight.
I was pleased with myself when, at my return visit to my health centre a few weeks later I had lost half a stone.
They reduced my three Metformin down to two so of course I thought I was on the winning track.
But they insisted I keep eating wholemeal bread, cereals low in sugar, and baked potato since it had the skin on.
I was assured this was all right and good.
Six months later my next review showed that I had lost more, and my weight was now 9 and a half stone. Brilliant!
The DN reduced my Metformin to just 1 a day with breakfast, and I thought this was a doddle and what had I been worried about!
Then, my best friend of 50 years passed away out of the blue and I went to pieces.
He had always been there, so how can he now not be. Such a massive shock to me.
I became closer to one of his friends through our mutual grief, which helped me enormously, and we began dating within a few months.
It was my first relationship in 17 years as I had devoted myself entirely to bringing up my daughter who had her own health problems.
We lived 30 miles apart, so I only saw him at weekends and not always even then, due to being there for mum and daughter.
At around this time my mother's health declined and she was in and out of hospital every few months, which put immense strain on me as I was her main carer and my whole day everyday was topsy turvy and unbalanced.
I turned to the odd chocolate bar for comfort as these sustained me through my stress.
I only came onto the site occasionally as I found that I didn't really understand a lot of what people were discussing, but I DID realise that it wasn't only sugar that I was fighting. It was Carbs.
How can I ever understand about carbs!
How do folk work out why, and what they do, or how many are in foods!
It was like a foreign language to me and because my mind was full of stress already through trying to juggle my love life, caring for mum, seeing that my daughter was okay and trying to eat right it was all going over my head.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook