1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

blog 11 another weird thing happened in bed!

Published by Lamont D in the blog Lamont D's blog. Views: 300

There I was going to write my teenage years (part2), but, as usual my weirdness got weirder.
Of course, I'm talking about my dreams.
This one had my brain in tatters in the early morning as it woke me up.
The usual aches and pains and my thoughts all day turned to my memories.

It was the usual road trip theme, where you go on a holiday or trip to somewhere.
I had my overnight bag with me and dressed up in shorts and shirt, for a sunny day.
My brother joined me, don't know why, but he was my travelling companion for my trip.
I had never been away with him since we were teenagers. However I was glad to have him along, I know that.

We were on a coach trip, don't know where our destination was, but that didn't really matter.
We arrived at the first stopover. We got off, and we went for a walk as the place we stopped was known by me, as a place where I had been a few times in the past, it was on the coast by where I live, we walked for a while and we stopped for a cup of tea for me, and a coffee for my brother.
Then we decided after a bit of personal chit chat, you know, the usually boring sibling banter, how work was, and what would we do when we retired. We talked of our aches and pains and how he was treating his heart and his diabetes, I told him quite clearly, never been better, and he was chuffed for me.
For some reason when the pair of us got back to the coach stop, it wasn't there, but we weren't bothered. I was happy being with him on our little trip.
He suggested going for a pint in the convenient local that was next to the coach stop.
He went the bar and brought me a pint of IPA, (hadn't had one for over ten years! Don't tell the wife or the docs!)
We discussed footie and our usual discussion about modern football. Him being a kopite, and me being a Rovers fan. He was always teasing me about my team being rubbish especially lately, and I had a go at him at the waste of money, they were paying and not winning anything lately.
Why I needed to tell you that, I don't know, I just felt it was relevant, I can only tell you what was happening.
We were standing in the bar, quite close to the door, the door opened, in walked a teenager, with a travelling bag, you know, the one with wheels, like an oaps shopping trolley. Anyway he bangs into the person next to me and my brother, rolls over his foot and knocks his drink over. It was a big drink, bigger than mine and I was envious.
Anyway a scuffle broke out, it was like dancing, not queensbury rules anyway!
So I stepped in between them and parted them, my brother went back the bar to get more drinks, I think! However, I started ranting and raving at the poor lad, he stood there as I gave him both barrels. He never flinched! He took it well!
So, yeah! It was my dream, and I lay down the law. Unless the wife is involved!
Everyone disappeared, everything disappeared, it left me alone in my dream. Standing, turning around, trying to see where my brother had gone, I hadn't even drunk my first pint and it had gone!
I shouted him, telling him, we would miss the bus!
He stood behind me, he had stood behind my left shoulder all the way through my dream.
He said, "don't go on like that, shouting never worked, always persuade! Teach!"
That's what he said! Then he repeated the last word, "Teach!" "Teach!" "Teach!"
He said it a few more times, before he left me again.

I woke with a start, the wife told me later, I was shouting 'teach' a few times before I woke. The wife was not happy as usual, when I had one of these dreams! Ho hum!
Always in the ****, depth varies!

As I've already said, that dream had a really dramatic effect on me!
The reason is, my brother is right, I coach teenage boys of the age that the teenager in my dream, the one I shouted at, was around the same age. And it gave me a reminder that there is nothing worse than ranting at a kid like that and showing them is better.
I had got a little mad, nothing serious, but I think I needed a reminder, as we ended the season on a bit of a low. When you coach, encouraging the lads, to get them to do, what is the right way, is more important than anything else. Including my own feelings.

The other reason is something I haven't mentioned about what else my brother had said.
I asked him, why we weren't getting on the coach.
He said. "The coach is for him and not for me!" He smiled at me,
"Your coach won't be along for quite a while yet!"
I knew what was happening in my dream, he would go out of my life again and I was really sad and angry, I couldn't see or talk to him once more!
You see, my brother died when he was 55, nearly seven years ago. He died of a massive coronary, brought on by diabetes and not looking after himself! (Hence the reason I asked him about his heart and diabetes in my conversation with him!)
He was my nearest blood relation, we slept together for my first eleven years. He guided me through a lot of my childhood and often got me out of my fair share of trouble.
He still battered me though, because, I was youngest, therefore easy meat, to pick on and use as a punchbag! But I still loved him and I do miss him occasionally! Not as much as I should, but I do!

I hope he is enjoying his retirement, with the rest of my lot wherever they are, I hope he is happy, and from time to time he can hopefully come and talk to me again, please!
Anaelena likes this.
  • Anaelena
  • Lamont D
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook